Short term memory is good but long term memory not so good

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing pretty well in all my classes but forgetting the material from the past. I've already forgotten almost everything from 1st year. It's only been a month in 2nd year so far we have completed basics of Pathogenesis and Pharmacology.

Am I screwed for step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Spaced repetition is golden, bro. I have the same problem and have been using Anki pretty casually over the summer. It's worked wonders for keeping information in my head. If you don't like making your own flash cards, Firecracker (formerly Gunner Training) is another option with pre made cards and a spaced repetition regimen.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I also have this problem but we have block exams so like 1 big exam with 5 subjects on like 4-6 weeks worth of material and 4 block exams a semester. It takes a while getting used to but repetition helps and constant review helps. However, I feel like the week before the block exam is when I'm most efficient and cramming helps me at least...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have firecracker but the questions pile up like crazy. I didn't do it for 2 days and have 300 questions piled up now.

Most of what is on step 1 is coming from your second year... so first year is kinda worthless

I have firecracker but the questions pile up like crazy. I didn't do it for 2 days and have 300 questions piled up now.

Firecracker is trash IMHO. The questions are poorly suited for rapid study. That's why I ditched it and started making my own cards on first aid and Pathoma with Anki. Much better. I can blaze through a couple hundred of my cards in less than half an hour. I introduce 20 new cards per day and have yet to see a review over 149 cards, and it's usually closer to 100.

Reactions: 1 user