Shortage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lockian

Magical Thinking Encouraged
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to look at jobs but on job sites I'm finding myself wading through tons of recruiter posts. For a midsize metro area, the twin cities metro area in MN has ~20 jobs, and who knows how many of those are actually still available and how many of those other people are looking at.

I guess I'm just generally horrified that the "shortage" everyone talks of in psychiatry is due to 1) the fact that psychiatrists are needed but aren't being hired 2) only exists in rural areas.

I am in residency at a college town and we have a lot of lifers as well as people who want to stay after residency and have no trouble doing so... but the moonlighting market is saturated :( I don't want to stay where I am, I want to move to the Twin Cities, but I'm terrified I'll have no choice but go to get-me-the-heck-out-of-here-MN instead.

To clarify, I have nothing against rural areas, they're just not where I want to live. I am already going stir-crazy in a town of 200k, anything smaller than that is a no-go. Am I limiting myself too much in considering one midsize urban area? I have extentuating circumstances that draw me to that particular one as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to look at jobs but on job sites I'm finding myself wading through tons of recruiter posts. For a midsize metro area, the twin cities metro area in MN has ~20 jobs, and who knows how many of those are actually still available and how many of those other people are looking at.

I guess I'm just generally horrified that the "shortage" everyone talks of in psychiatry is due to 1) the fact that psychiatrists are needed but aren't being hired 2) only exists in rural areas.

I am in residency at a college town and we have a lot of lifers as well as people who want to stay after residency and have no trouble doing so... but the moonlighting market is saturated :( I don't want to stay where I am, I want to move to the Twin Cities, but I'm terrified I'll have no choice but go to get-me-the-heck-out-of-here-MN instead.

To clarify, I have nothing against rural areas, they're just not where I want to live. I am already going stir-crazy in a town of 200k, anything smaller than that is a no-go. Am I limiting myself too much in considering one midsize urban area? I have extentuating circumstances that draw me to that particular one as well.

Lots of need inside and outside of the metro my friend. Don’t worry yourself. You’ll make more doing less the further out you go, but it doesn’t mean that’s a good fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of need inside and outside of the metro my friend. Don’t worry yourself. You’ll make more doing less the further out you go, but it doesn’t mean that’s a good fit for you.
But also probably lots of doctors who want to be there :/ MN has 3 residencies, I think, and they must be churning out 30 psychiatrists per year. I'm sure many want to stay because MN people tend to like it there.

Are you in residency in MN?

Members don't see this ad :)
Minnesota is brimming with opportunity. I promise you that need isn’t being met. Without revealing too much about myself, I am not in a dissimilar situation to you and have more than considered what options there will be viable. Be confident in your choice of specialty because you will have plenty of options when the time comes. The power and leverage will be in YOUR court.

MN has 3 residency programs: U of MN, HCMC/Regions, and Mayo. I’ve heard that St. Cloud has considered starting a residency as well but don’t know this for a fact. No matter, one look at the average age of psychiatrists should be enough of a comfort to you.

Minnesota is brimming with opportunity. I promise you that need isn’t being met. Without revealing too much about myself, I am not in a dissimilar situation to you and have more than considered what options there will be viable. Be confident in your choice of specialty because you will have plenty of options when the time comes. The power and leverage will be in YOUR court.
Ok, so maybe I'm not going about the job search right, but then again I am in the very beginning. All I did was google with mixed results, running into a lot of recruiter postings, with a minority that seem like they're from the health system or practice directly. I've also emailed some people I know in my own program who have MN connections, so we'll see how that goes.

If you're comfortable, maybe PM me any tips you may have on where to look?

I mean, I am not looking to start a PP of my own, I don't think that's tenable right out of residency. I am fine working for the man, but is the man hiring, lol?

There will probably be a job. Call a recruiter and ask, as many of the better jobs tend to not be listed online anyway

There will probably be a job. Call a recruiter and ask, as many of the better jobs tend to not be listed online anyway
Why would you call a recruiter?

Cold-call/email facilities directly. Bypass the recruiter and take their cut as yours. Network with attendings at your program or at conferences.

terrible advice. don't call a recruiter. the "better jobs" aren't going to be found via a recruiter, and if you contact a recruiter you will not be able to interview/negotiate the terms of that job without the recruiter. they will take your CV and spam it around to block you from being able to get a job without them

Reactions: 4 users
terrible advice. don't call a recruiter. the "better jobs" aren't going to be found via a recruiter, and if you contact a recruiter you will not be able to interview/negotiate the terms of that job without the recruiter. they will take your CV and spam it around to block you from being able to get a job without them

Really? I usually have the recruiter put me in touch with the CEO or medical director and negotiate from there. Recruiters don’t have any power so I see no point in talking with them but also haven’t heard of them sabotaging or preventing negotiating like this before.

Really? I usually have the recruiter put me in touch with the CEO or medical director and negotiate from there. Recruiters don’t have any power so I see no point in talking with them but also haven’t heard of them sabotaging or preventing negotiating like this before.
Dumb question perhaps, but how do you know a recruiter won't scam you?

I'm in touch with one recruiter I met at a job fair, but he's an internal recruiter for a nationwide healthcare chain.

Dumb question perhaps, but how do you know a recruiter won't scam you?

I'm in touch with one recruiter I met at a job fair, but he's an internal recruiter for a nationwide healthcare chain.

What’s to scam? I want to be well reimbursed, with a production model that is strong and is in line with the MGMA compensation levels. If the job doesn’t have what I want.... adios.

What’s to scam? I want to be well reimbursed, with a production model that is strong and is in line with the MGMA compensation levels. If the job doesn’t have what I want.... adios.
Are we talking about third party or internal recruiters? Because my understanding of everyone's concern is that third party recruiters may take a cut or work for a fee, and may not deliver what they promise. Where do you find the recruiters you talk to?

Gotcha. I’ve only worked with internal recruiters so that makes sense. I’m so geographically limited that I don’t feel like I need someone to do the calling for me unless I considered a locums company.