Shortages of training cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatsya

Reaction score
Someone mentioned checking availability of training cases. Can that be an issue in dental residency programs? Wouldn't patients be clamoring for services esp implants?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone mentioned checking availability of training cases. Can that be an issue in dental residency programs? Wouldn't patients be clamoring for services esp implants?
1. COVID interrupted the pipeline.
2. The patient STILL has to come up with some $$$$. (If they had $$$ they wouldn't be at a residency program.)
3. A GOOD training case is hard to find anywhere and any time.
4. The best residents don't set around waiting for the program to give them cases. The best residents go out and actively find their own cases.

So once COVID is done the cases will probably loosen up. Do some programs have good flow but others not? what happens if you can't complete cause no cases?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. COVID interrupted the pipeline.
2. The patient STILL has to come up with some $$$$. (If they had $$$ they wouldn't be at a residency program.)
3. A GOOD training case is hard to find anywhere and any time.
4. The best residents don't set around waiting for the program to give them cases. The best residents go out and actively find their own cases.
How do you suggest doing that? Most specialty programs require referrals and care by a GP.

How do you suggest doing that? Most specialty programs require referrals and care by a GP.
That is only one of many ways to hustle up a few cases.
You can also cull your family for cases, let it be know at your church, at your bar, at the little league game, etc. that you are looking for cases.
Make yourself available to D3's and D4's and that might lead to a good case.
I had a student use Facebook in her small town to successfully drum up some patients.
In short think outside the box and take matters into your own hands!

------Maybe, I'm getting to be an old crank, but it seems to me that dental students and residents these days are less self-sufficient and need more hand holding than in the old days. ------- I blame it on cell phones & helicopter parents.
--------NOW Get Off My Lawn!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users