Should DO take USMLE step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docman85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMLE step 1 - 220
COMLEX level 1 - 571

So I am trying to decide if I should take USMLE step 2 or just roll with what I have and take COMLEX level 2 only. I would really like to match into one of the 3 yr MD residencies (not picky about location, just a quality program that will teach me what I need to know to be a competent EP).

Any advice is welcomed, and also what are some examples of places I should be looking into for audition rotations next year as well as residency?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE step 1 - 220
COMLEX level 1 - 571

So I am trying to decide if I should take USMLE step 2 or just roll with what I have and take COMLEX level 2 only. I would really like to match into one of the 3 yr MD residencies (not picky about location, just a quality program that will teach me what I need to know to be a competent EP).

Any advice is welcomed, and also what are some examples of places I should be looking into for audition rotations next year as well as residency?

thanks

I believe a 220 is a bit below average for EM, and allopathic residencies generally don't care about your COMLEX score. EM is also getting tougher to match into every year. I think you should take (and destroy) Step 2 CK if you're thinking an MD residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would definitely take it. I have a better step 1 score and improved on my step 2 score, similar comlex score as you, research, a good SLOR, good LORs and applied to 42 MD places and have only gotten 7 interviews so far, and a lot of places are filling up interview spots before the dean's letter has gone out. Already got a wait list and three rejections. This year, as every year, seems very competitive. Not saying you can't get in without it, or that your app is weaker than mine, you might have stronger extracurriculars or better experiences, but as a DO they are looking for reasons not to accept you and not having their exam would be a reason not to interview you. Not trying to scare you just telling you my experience so far. Good Luck

Thanks everyone, my initial worry was the same worry when choosing to take step 1 in that I would do worse on step 2 and harm my chances on matching somewhere decent that would have taken me with my below average step 1 score.

Let me also qualify this statement that I don't have any beef with the DO EM programs, I just do not want to do 4 yrs when I can do it in 3 yrs if I can help it. Obviously the main end goal is to become an EM physician.

If you do a dually accredited res. do you have to take both DO and MD or can you just take the MD boards at the end?

Thanks everyone, my initial worry was the same worry when choosing to take step 1 in that I would do worse on step 2 and harm my chances on matching somewhere decent that would have taken me with my below average step 1 score.

Let me also qualify this statement that I don't have any beef with the DO EM programs, I just do not want to do 4 yrs when I can do it in 3 yrs if I can help it. Obviously the main end goal is to become an EM physician.

If you do a dually accredited res. do you have to take both DO and MD or can you just take the MD boards at the end?

If it is a dually accredited program you will fall under the ACOEP, and they will require you to take all 3 Steps of COMLEX. Besides, you need to take all three steps of COMLEX to be fully licensed by your state medical board. Taking USMLE Step 3 is of zero utility for a DO in any situation I can think of.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, USMLE Step 2 is also of little utility. I think Step 1 is really the best shot for impressing a PD with high numbers. But you can also impress a PD by having a great work ethic and being likable on a rotation. These are all things you have heard before, no doubt.

As competitive as EM has become, and in your situation, you should consider a DO residency. I did one and I now work in a very busy department at a Level 2 Center. I feel like I was very well trained and could work anywhere. I trained with a large number of residents from Allopathic programs, some were stronger and some were weaker than me. The extra year was a drag, but the end result is I got to where I wanted to get to.

Good luck.

Besides, you need to take all three steps of COMLEX to be fully licensed by your state medical board. Taking USMLE Step 3 is of zero utility for a DO in any situation I can think of.

Friend, this is not true.:) It is a common misconception though.

I am DO that was licensed through USMLE I/II/III and I never took COMLEX 3. Check the local state medical board for more info. In certain states licensure can be achieved through either route.

I was licensed before all these crazy CS/CK tests were required though. It wouldn't make much sense at all now to take the route that I did.

No need to apologize for wanting to do an MD residency.

I'm a DO intern in MD residency. I would say take the Step 2 and make sure you do well. Take any opportunity to strengthen your application, and a solid step 2 score does just that. Also, USMLE is the only real tool the PD's have to measure you against MD applicants, COMLEX really means very little to them.

Friend, this is not true.:) It is a common misconception though.

I am DO that was licensed through USMLE I/II/III and I never took COMLEX 3. Check the local state medical board for more info. In certain states licensure can be achieved through either route.

I was licensed before all these crazy CS/CK tests were required though. It wouldn't make much sense at all now to take the route that I did.

Well, doc, I stand corrected. That is pretty interesting. So, I am assuming you took COMLEX 1 and 2 and did not take 3.

It is a shame you missed out on the CS/CK and/or COMLEX PE. The PE was a deep and meaningful experience that I remember fondly..........:rofl:

Seriously, I am glad all that stress is over. As well as the stress of jumping through all the hoops of getting a residency.

That is pretty interesting. So, I am assuming you took COMLEX 1 and 2 and did not take 3.

It is a shame you missed out on the CS/CK and/or COMLEX PE. The PE was a deep and meaningful experience that I remember fondly..........:rofl:

The above is correct and I am not bummed that I missed the CS/CK tests etc at all. Really doesn't make much sense for anybody to go the route I did nowadays.

Licensure is controlled by the individual states, check the FSMB list for details.

we don't need to take Step 2 CS though, right? i would very much like it if i didn't have to spend another $1000 :\

It's unclear to which post you're responding (which is why the "quote" button exists. But if you want to be licensed in a state under the MD requirements, you have to fulfill those requirements, which currently include completion of all 4 USMLE exams.

It's unclear to which post you're responding (which is why the "quote" button exists. But if you want to be licensed in a state under the MD requirements, you have to fulfill those requirements, which currently include completion of all 4 USMLE exams.

lol sorry, my response was more directed to the question in the thread title, "Should a DO take USMLE step 2?" i'm pretty set on taking Step 2 CK, but i'm wondering if it's necessary as a DO student to take Step 2 CS.

To the OP:

I think that Step 2 CK is a good idea. Personally I think it is a significantly better written test than the COMLEX and actually easier to score well. If you're studying for one, might as well study for the other.

Everyone always says things like "take it and kick its butt" or "go on a rotation and be stand-out." Look, if it was as easy as wanting to do it, you wouldn't be in the situation you are now. I say study hard, give it a run and see what happens. At the least you're studied-up going into your audition rotations, and even if it's not EM-specific, a good grasp on medicine in general is ALWAYS good. Studying for the COMLEX does not give you that, it prepares you to throw out some buzz words, diagnose brain cancer based on tenuous sacral findings, and play "guess what I'm thinking" with the authors.

Additionally, Based on one of those NRMP published survey results put out, program directors actually rated step 2 higher in importance than step 1, though both were given less weight than some of the other components of your application. USMLEWorld is really good for step 2, and yes, it's an extra expense, but another shot to put something stand-out on your application while a score around average just confirms what they would already suspect, that by the numbers, you're a relatively average candidate.

best of luck