Should drop with a W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screwedpremed88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have one W from summer school at a community college because the curriculum didn't match up with my school's curriculum (due to quarter vs. semester system) for a calc class. After a couple days in the class, you could only drop with a W...so I did. I guess the drop with a W date came extremely soon because it was a 6 week summer course. In addition I have one W from undergraduate institution (UCLA) in statistics. Currently I have a 3.47 overall GPA and 3.36 BCPM. I am currently a sophomore with one more quarter left.

I'm taking five classes right now. One of the classes is genetics. I did well on my first midterm (A) on my first midterm, but I don't think I did very well on the 2nd midterm. I think I failed it. If it looks like I'm going to get a C in the class, should I drop the course? I feel like I can't take anymore hits to my GPA. I'm trying to get my GPA up to a 3.6 by the end of junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you should NEVER take five classes, you are just setting yourself up for failure.

Next time dont take more then 3 classes.

Yes, Drop the class and take a W

you should NEVER take five classes, you are just setting yourself up for failure.

Next time dont take more then 3 classes.

Yes, Drop the class and take a W

3 classes??? Really?? I think taking 5 a semester is resonable, if not a light load. But are we talking real classes? Or just classes in general (meaning including joke classes)?

Anyway. You don't know how you did, so don't make any decision right now. See how the test went and go from there. If you want to drop, do a few things first. Meet with your professor to see what, if anything, you can do to help your grade. Make sure it's practically impossible for you to pull off that B. Also, how much would it hurt your GPA?? I, personally, would advise against dropping, at all costs. Especially since you have 2 W's and you are only a sophomore.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 classes??? Really?? I think taking 5 a semester is resonable, if not a light load. But are we talking real classes? Or just classes in general (meaning including joke classes)?

Anyway. You don't know how you did, so don't make any decision right now. See how the test went and go from there. If you want to drop, do a few things first. Meet with your professor to see what, if anything, you can do to help your grade. Make sure it's practically impossible for you to pull off that B. Also, how much would it hurt your GPA?? I, personally, would advise against dropping, at all costs. Especially since you have 2 W's and you are only a sophomore.

3 is way too low...unless you work full time. 4-5 classes is FINE..I took 17-20 credits every semester and it didn't hurt my gpa..

maybe 5 classes is a big deal for the quarter system?
also, don't many liberal arts schools have a max at 4 courses per semester or w/e?

and i thought full time was 12 credit hours? either way you could do that with 3 classes. some classes here are worth up to 4.5 credits.

maybe 5 classes is a big deal for the quarter system?
also, don't many liberal arts schools have a max at 4 courses per semester or w/e?

and i thought full time was 12 credit hours? either way you could do that with 3 classes. some classes here are worth up to 4.5 credits.

Oooh good point. I did not think of that. Well regardless, I still say do everything possible to avoid the W. You don't want it to look like a trend.

What are you guys talking about...3 units for each class? My classes are worth 4 units a piece. I'm taking a seminar class too, so I'm taking 21 units/ (hrs of class a week). Quarter system is usually more rigorous than the semester system. It moves faster than the semester system. Calculus 1 takes 1/3 of the school year at a college that is on the quarter system to cover the material. It takes half the school year at a college that is on the semester system to cover that course material. Full time is 3 four unit classes at UC. Four classes is usually the norm though.

drop it. you dont know what can come up later on the semester and you screw up on even getting a "B". why take the chance? W is something you can explain and doesnt question your capabilities. But, a "C" does.

I would try one final shot. Sometimes, adding little more effort makes a big difference. Leave this option to drop for your later years' courses, it might be helpful there. Yeah but if aren't confident with yourself and you know you cant do anything better, then drop it.

About 3 courses a sem!!! Some university define 3 course a semester a full course load and some require 5 courses a semester. So why take risk?

I would be the first one to enroll for 3 courses lol...so damn lazy...