Medical Should I accept DO spot or reapply MD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth between accepting an offered spot at A.T. Still or reapplying for MD schools. I applied to DO schools only this cycle due to getting my MCAT score back after MD deadlines and not knowing much about the process. As of right now I am the most interested in EM, anesthesia and orthopedic surgery. I know that during medical school I could completely change my mind, but the residency merger is worrying to me as much is unknown until 2020. If I did not attend A.T. Still I would retake the MCAT and apply MD only.

My stats are:
cGPA 3.49, sGPA 3.55
MCAT: 502
Clinical hours: 1500+
Volunteer hours: 350+
Research publications: 1

If I reapply my goal would be to attend my state school, they have told me that if I bring my MCAT to 505 I will get an interview and 508 will increase my chances for acceptance. Is this too large of a gamble with my stats and current MCAT? Would going MD really increase my chances to obtain the residencies I am interested in if I applied to former AOA programs for orthopedic surgery and ACGME for EM/anesthesia?
At this point, m suggestion is to take the DO spot. The reason for this is that matching into anesthesia or EM as a DO is not insurmountable, particularly if you are able to do well on Step 1. Orthopedic surgery would be very difficult to gain a spot in in the ACGME match. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that you will actually be able to do better on the MCAT, and if you do not take this spot, you are unlikely to be interviewed again next year as you declined their acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

To quote the wise gonnif, the biggest mistake a pre-med can make is to turn down an acceptance, especially if it's your only one.

There is no guarantee that you can improve your MCAT to what the MD school wants, and you're most likely to stay the same, go down or only go up 1-2 points.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT and GPA are on the lower side for MD, and are about average for DO, give or take. Not only is there no guarantee for MD, but you risk not getting into DO next year either as a re-applicant who previously denied an offer. The place that did accept you may be unwilling or reluctant after being denied to re-offer you an interview/acceptance. Take the DO acceptance at AT Still and run with it. Consider other schools if they make offers if you have interest in them, but solidify your spot while you can.

While MD can open some extra doors, ortho is pretty competitive regardless. EM and gas are attainable for DOs and you shouldn't worry about those. As you mention already, you may change your mind too just as many do. I did myself, too.

You're looking at a guaranteed chance at becoming a doctor, and comparing it to only a possibility with a year delay. Take the offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Ortho may be more difficult (it's difficult for everyone even at MD schools) but EM and anesthesia will be more reasonable. I'd suggest taking the acceptance you have at the DO school and do well on Step 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.