Should I add Drexel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
way back when I submitted AMCAS, but then started to worry since I didn't have many "safety schools." So I added Drexel. I've got their secondary, but am not sure if I should both filling it out and donating my $75. I think I like Drexel's use of techonology, and that I think I've got a really good shot of getting in. Other than that, I don't see myself going there unless I don't get in anywhere else. So far I've had interviews at the U of MN, Wake, and am doing GW next week. I think my two interviews so far went somewhere between "great" and "good." I'm still waiting to hear from many schools, including Jefferson, BU, MCW, Sinai, Eintein, and Tufts.

Couple of questions:

1. Should I wait until I hear yes/no from my early interview schools, and only apply if I don't get an acceptance? Or is submitting my Drexel app earlier important?

2. What are the odds that anybody doesn't get in someplace if they interview at three places (minimum)?

Thanks,
Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the total # of schools you applied to & the breakdown between reach & lower-tier schools. You've got good interviews & some of the lower tier.

It's hard to say without knowing stats, EC's, etc. Drexel is a good school and I am applying there this year. Their whole process seems pretty slow. If you apply now you will be very far behind in the application process and probably wouldn't be interviewed until Jan. at the earliest. If your stats are considerably higher than their averages and you have solid EC's and a decent GPA I would apply. I did the same thing last year where I applied to MCW very late in the process as a safety school but in the end I didn't even get an interview there. Just analyze your chances for admission and then decide.

In response to the second question it is hard to judge. It depends if you are waitlisted and then how many applicants a school takes off of the waitlist. Interviews are great and it is true that the more you have the better your chances are for admission to atleast 1.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you likely to hear back from those three schools anytime soon? If you're going to get a final decision from them in a couple of weeks, then such a short delay probably won't make much of a difference at Drexel. On the other hand, if the $75 isn't a big deal to you, you could just submit the app to Drexel for piece of mind and then withdraw later if you hear good news from one of these three earlier schools.

when's their deadline for secondary? i'm too lazy to type it..hehe

Originally posted by bulldog

haha, so was i, i just hand wrote it, along with 3 other schools......i say hand write it and see what happens..that's what i'm doing..............

nero

i haven't filled out my drexel secondary yet either, and i'm considering not doing it at all . . . i think i have a good shot at my state schools, and i'd rather go to one of them.

but i'm thinking drexel might be hurting for applicants this year. they sent me a letter in the mail asking me to apply to their MD/PhD program due to my "outstanding academic credentials" Apparently, they failed to notice my 3.2 science GPA, C+ in orgo, and the fact that in my personal statement i made it pretty clear that I want to do PUBLIC HEALTH. hello? i want to call them up and say "insincere flattery will get you nowhere!"

Originally posted by banannie
i haven't filled out my drexel secondary yet either, and i'm considering not doing it at all . . . i think i have a good shot at my state schools, and i'd rather go to one of them.

but i'm thinking drexel might be hurting for applicants this year. they sent me a letter in the mail asking me to apply to their MD/PhD program due to my "outstanding academic credentials" Apparently, they failed to notice my 3.2 science GPA, C+ in orgo, and the fact that in my personal statement i made it pretty clear that I want to do PUBLIC HEALTH. hello? i want to call them up and say "insincere flattery will get you nowhere!"

That's really strange that they'd be trying to recruit you into the MD/PhD. But then again, they may offer a PhD in a public health field such as epidemiology.

Originally posted by bulldog

January 1st...it's not too bad actually. I'm applying MD/MPH, so I have to write an extra essay....but the basic one isn't bad at all.

Karen