Should I add more safeties?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mishka17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already been verified by AMCAS, but after looking at others' MD profiles, I'm worried I haven't applied to enough med schools, especially safeties. Can someone tell me if I should apply to more?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10745http://www.mdapplicants.com/updateprofile.php

In addition to the schools already listed, I've applied to University of Miami.

Help, please?!? thanks! : )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No need to add more schools.

Your 'dilemma' might turn out to be a abundance of riches!

I would. With the numbers of quality applicants we see now no school is a safety.
We routinely reject students with great grades and solid MCATs for various reasons. You may not have the best interview day (nerves, odd interviewer, missed plane connection, lost luggage, etc). You may not be what the school has in mind for whatever reason. The committee may be grumpy when they meet to review your file. So much beyond your control...

A long while ago my college roommate who had great scores, grades, research etc applied only to the top 10 schools. He interviewed at 2 and was rejected. The next year he included "middle of the pack" schools and got in and did very well. Why did he not get in? - who knows.

Just to be safe, I would add a school or two from the following list:
Albany, Tulane, GWU, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, NYMC, Drexel, Boston University, Tufts, USC, Loyola, EVMS, UMDNJ, Jefferson Medical College, UPITT, Wayne State, Vermont, Creighton, Temple, G-town.

In the end, you will most likely get a good number of interviews. As long as you interview early in the cycle you should do well.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be safe, I would add a school or two from the following list:
Albany, Tulane, GWU, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, NYMC, Drexel, Boston University, Tufts, USC, Loyola, EVMS, UMDNJ, Jefferson Medical College, UPITT, Wayne State, Vermont, Creighton, Temple, G-town.

Best of luck

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have Tulane, UPITT, and Boston University on my list of schools. And I consider USF a UMiami safeties as a FL resident--unless perhaps I'm mistaken! Unless something goes horribly awry at my interviews, hopefully I end up somewhere!

I've already been verified by AMCAS, but after looking at others' MD profiles, I'm worried I haven't applied to enough med schools, especially safeties. Can someone tell me if I should apply to more?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10745

In addition to the schools already listed, I've applied to University of Miami.

Help, please?!? thanks! : )

Just a thought- Maybe if you add some schools you are slightly over-qualified for, they may give you merit scholarships that the elite schools would not.

Based on ChubbyChaser's criticism, I also want to ask if my schools are okay. I believe that I set myself apart by being a first generation college student and having an ultra-impoverished upbringing (American standards).

I think you'll be fine :) Our numbers are close, and I applied to a similar distribution (I think I had a few more mid tiers since only had one state school).