Should I Apply? DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HerbPeddler

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you recommend I apply this cycle? I hope to primarily apply to DO Schools, but maybe to some lower MD schools as well? My academic history is a bit shoddy, so I wanted to get some advice in order to determine if I should another year to solidify my transcript.

Country/State of Residence: United States/Indiana

Major: BA History (almost 90 Credit Hours completed so far)

Cumulative GPA: 3.83

Science GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 507(123/126/127/131)

Clinical Experiences
Hospice Volunteer: 120 Hours
Assisted Living Volunteer: 25 Hours

Shadowing
25 Hours Shadowing 2 MD's
15 Hours Shadowing 1 DO

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
Habitats For Humanity 200 Hours

LOR Goal
1 Pre-Med Advisor
1 Science Professor
1 DO Letter

Employment
Worked as a Game Designer throughout these 3 years as a side thing. This ultimately culminated into me taking an entire break from college to focus on this business. I know two coding languages and gained leadership, management, and entrepreneurial skills. Though, my personal statement will highlight why this career didn't suit my long-term goals and aspirations.

Notable Flaws and Concerns
-I have over 6 W's, only 2 being in medical pre-reqs during my freshman year. I go to a commuter state university, so it's pretty casual to drop classes here since nobody lives on campus.
-I'm still on a 4 year plan to obtain my bachelors degree, however I took two semesters off during the 2019/2020 terms. Since I've been taking summer classes throughout, I can still reach this goal.
-My personal statement mentions the 'gap year' I took and extensively discusses my skills as a game designer in a way that ultimately relates to medicine. I'm also mentioning the self-earned popularity, success, and profit I garnered as a Game Designer (without bragging of course).
-I know I'm lacking in the volunteer work department, but didn't AACOMAS say they're lowering their expectations due to coronavirus?

I really value my time, so If there's a decent chance I can get in this cycle, I'd take that shot rather than biding my time for the next one.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools and I suggest applying to these:
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
PCOM
LECOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
You could receive interviews at MD schools and I suggest these with your stats:
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all DO schools and I suggest applying to these:
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
PCOM
LECOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
You could receive interviews at MD schools and I suggest these with your stats:
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Thanks for the list, I didn't know where to start

Reactions: 1 user
I know I'm lacking in the volunteer work department, but didn't AACOMAS say they're lowering their expectations due to coronavirus?
You have to check individually how each admissions committee is going to consider that factor. AACOMAS doesn't set the expectations on their behalf.