Should I apply for MD for 2018 or 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpete1128

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a B.A. in Biology and a M.S. in biomedical sciences (1 year, non-thesis). Math/Ochem/physics was not required for my undergraduate degree, so I am planning on going back and taking these classes at a community college starting this summer and ending next summer (2018): Precalc, calc, organic 1 and 2, and calc-based physics 1 and 2.
I am definitely considered a non-traditional student because I have 1 year on my transcripts where I dropped many classes back in 2012-2013. I have greatly improved since then after transferring to another school and I have a 3.57 undergrad GPA and 3.56 grad GPA.
I took the MCAT last summer and got 507, and I am currently studying to take it again 6/17/17.
I have been a pharmacy technician for over 4 years and that's where most of my medical experience is. I volunteered in a cancer center pharmacy for about 5 months and I am starting a volunteer position for a crisis text line in June 2017. I have not shadowed any doctors because I never realized how essential it is for medical school, but I plan to shadow 3-4 doctors in the next year.

So I am just wondering... is it worth my time to apply for 2018? I know I will look much better on an application after this upcoming year with shadowing, volunteering, and finishing up the math/physics/ochem classes, but my family is pressuring me to hurry up and finish school so I can start paying off my student loans. I am planning on applying to 10+ different schools so it will be a lot of time and money if I don't have very good chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have a lot of classes that you plan to take between now and summer 2018 I so not think you should apply this cycle.
you can get a job with doing those classes and pay off part of your loans.
you could also become a Scribe for more healthcare exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, how did you study for the MCAT and get a 507 without having taken physics and o-chem? Did you self-study? What resources did you use?

OP, how did you study for the MCAT and get a 507 without having taken physics and o-chem? Did you self-study? What resources did you use?

I just studied using Khan Academy's videos and practice questions and the free practice test from Princeton review

Does pharmacy tech job count toward your clinical experience?

Highly recommend spending the $ on the AAMC practice materials for your upcoming MCAT

Unless you are particularly interested in a school that requires calc, you may be able to avoid taking pre-calc/calc and cut down on the number of additional courses you need to take. There are plenty of schools that don't require calculus, so if you are able to find a non-calc based physics sequence, you can likely knock your pre-reqs out sooner. If you want or need more math, many schools appreciate a course in statistics.

As others have said, apply when you feel your application will be the strongest, which is probably the next cycle, not this current one. It will behoove you to get at least some shadowing and direct patient contact under your belt before applying.

Seconded on taking the official AAMC MCAT practice exams before you retake.