Should I apply late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troyboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent grad of biochemistry major and spanish minor. 3.53 GPA, four year athlete, and a lot of ECs. Volunteered and about to start working at a hospital in Boston. Took the MCAT and got a 27S, and planning to retake it on July 26. I studied with one practice test and three about of week of review the first time and hopefully will get 30+ with more prep time. Is it worth applying late even though it is clearly a bit more competitive? P.S. the doctor I will be working with is a professor at a med school in boston.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent grad of biochemistry major and spanish minor. 3.53 GPA, four year athlete, and a lot of ECs. Volunteered and about to start working at a hospital in Boston. Took the MCAT and got a 27S, and planning to retake it on July 26. I studied with one practice test and three about of week of review the first time and hopefully will get 30+ with more prep time. Is it worth applying late even though it is clearly a bit more competitive? P.S. the doctor I will be working with is a professor at a med school in boston.

Apply as early as possible even if you don't have your MCAT score just yet. Applying late doesn't pay. Also, your MCAT score is a huuuge factor in the application. Stellar EC's won't make up for a below-average MCAT and an average GPA. Doesn't matter if you're working with Hawking. Get that score up and ace that dreaded test! :luck:

How late is late? Are you planning on submitting after your get your July score (the end of August)? I doubt there's any reliable way to quantify how much worse your odds become over time, but they almost definitely become much, much worse that far out.

I wouldn't waste money applying this cycle, especially with a 3.53 GPA. But I guess this depends to a large extent on which state you live in.