Should I apply now, or take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply now or gap year?

• Total voters

jona1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I know I'm cutting it close, but I'm trying to decide whether I should apply this cycle or take a gap year(s). I know this question has come up a couple times in the forums, but not quite with my situation.
Here is my info:

University: Vanderbilt Class of '18
Major: Neuroscience
Ethnicity: Hispanic (Fluent in Spanish)
State of Residence: FL
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: 513
LizzyM: 64.60
Research: 15 hrs/week (>600 hrs) of Independent Neuroscience Research since fall of my junior year. Awarded a small-medium grant for my independent project.
Clinical volunteering: None. Will begin volunteering at a hospital next week for 2 hrs/week and continue doing this during the school year. Will be organizing and leading support groups for individuals with Traumatic Brain Injury beginning my senior year for 2 hrs/week.
Non-clinical volunteering: None.
Physician Shadowing: 2 hrs/week Spring of Sophomore year (20 hrs) with an ENT. 8 hrs/week this summer with a Neurologist(Movement disorders). Will continue shadowing Neurologist 2 hrs/week during the school year.
Extracurricular activities:
A cappella group: 10 hrs/week since fall of freshman year. President my Junior year.
Synapse (organization dedicated to the education of and support for individuals with Traumatic brain injury): Vice President. Helped to create this organization at the end of my Junior year. 3hrs/week attending meetings and organizing/facilitating support groups.
Employment history: Worked at a dentist's office one summer. Currently working as a research/administrative assistant at the Undiagnosed Diseases Network. Other non-medical employments during the summer.

Most graphs show that I have slightly above a 50% chance of getting in somewhere.

I'm getting my committee letter on August 2nd, so that is the absolute earliest I can apply. Is this too late? How badly will it affect my chances of getting in?

With my stats and situation, should I apply now, or take a year?
If I apply now, how worried should I be about the disadvantage from re-applying?
If taking a gap year is the answer, what should I be doing during that year? Post-bacc? Scribing? Something else?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should take a gap year. You need those clinical volunteering hours and additional shadowing hours. Also work on increasing your sGPA and cGPA in the coming year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-bac or medical masters will significantly help you out and in the meantime get some volunteer experience.

Your EC's are weak.

Take a gap year to improve.