Should I apply preliminary/transitional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted628516

I am applying for anesthesiology residency this year, mostly advanced positions (because I'm an IMG and advanced positions seem to be less competitive in my opinion)

should I also apply for preliminary/transitional? not for the backup.

to my understanding anesthesiology residency is either

Categorical: 4 years of training, where training hospital itself offers PGY1 after which you continue on with CA 1, 2 and 3
Advanced is 3 years, starting from CA1 in which case hospital doesn't offer PGY1 and you should finish preliminary year somewhere else first.

what if I match in advanced position and than start looking for preliminary spot, am I putting myself under a high risk of not getting one or it usually works out well?

and some institutions offer both categorical and advanced, does applying to both of them maximize my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd apply. You don't want to have to scramble into some horrible prelim out of desperation. Give yourself options. Prelims and TY (esp) are very competitive b/c you're competing with all the derm/radonc/etc kids. Do some research and focus on programs that have a history of taking IMGs.