Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nina D

Reaction score
help needed!!! I took my dat a week ago and I need help in deciding if I should apply this cycle or wait till next year. I have a 21AA 23TS (25 GC, 25 OC, 20 Bio) 25 PAT, 19 RC and 14 QR :( I panicked and got distracted and could not finish as strong as I need to. I have a 3.9 GPA. my top choice is UCLA, UCSF (I am CA resident). Do I have a chance? Did any body get accepted with 14 QR? I am thinking about retaking in August (this is the earliest I can) but I will be really late in the cycle then. should I still apply this cycle? or better to wait till next year? BTW, I am a junior now. any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get in. Most schools don't care for QR to be honest. But contact admissions if you are concerned

I can’t speak from experience (I haven’t applied to dental school yet), but I’ve read of similar situations on SDN. From what I’ve read dental schools don’t put much weight on the QR score. However, there are some schools that have DAT score cutoffs. So if one of your scores is below a certain value your application will automatically be put aside/removed by that school. I think you should call the schools you’re planning on applying to and talk to a dental admissions advisor. Ask the advisor if you could still apply even though you got a 14 on the QR section of the DAT.

Other than the QR score (which as I said before is probably the least important section) you did awesome, congrats!

Your AA and TS are both good. As mentioned earlier, only thing would be DAT score cutoffs.