Should I apply this year? (MD & DO schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was in undergrad for 5 years with a BS in biochemistry from UCSD with a 3.07 science GPA. My grades have a huge downward trend starting 3rd year mostly due to health issues and the anxiety that followed. I am better now, but I haven't done anything on record to show that I have substantially improved. I know if I get into medical school I would bust my ass off, but they don't know that.

This is my SIXTH year (I graduated in the Fall). I started a Master's program at UCSD as well in evolutionary biology but I left it before the start of spring quarter. The reason was that I thought it would not help me for medical school and also it was at times 40-50 hours of work a week with no stipend + and i had to pay tuition (wtf?). Now in the Spring Quarter, I have to decide to perhaps to take MCATs in the Summer and apply to DOs and some MDs (longshot) as early as possible.

Virtually no volunteering at hospital. Have had volunteer research experience at the nearby Children's Hospital Autism research lab putting together experiments by myself to test for ASD for about a year under a PhD. (Could get a good rec) Also had 2 quarters of lab experience in the Master's program I just left.

My second option would be to apply to SMPs that accept MCATs as late as June 30 and take an MCAT end of this month.

Also, if I don't get in for next year. What should I doing this summer and after my rejection letters to prepare for reapplication the following year?

Pre-Reqs
Bio
BILD 1 – The Cell – A, 4
BILD 2 – Multicellular Life – B+, 3.3
Phys1A/Lab – A/A-, 3.85
Phys1B/Lab – B/B+, 3.15
Phys1C/Lab – A-/B, 3.35
Chemistry/Lab – general and organic
Chem6A – A-, 3.7
Chem6B – B, 3
Chem6C – A-, 3.7
Chem6BL (Gen. Chem. Lab) – B, 3
ochem
Chem140A – A, 4
Chem140B – B+, 3.3
Chem140C – B+, 3.3
Chem143A (Org. Chem. Lab) – A-, 3.7

These classes I took mostly in the 2nd half of my college career, but it was at the height of my health problems and anxiety. honestly, i dont know why i stayed in school for so long taking unnecessary classes and ****ing up my gpa. I am capable of so much better than this, but they don't know that.
Others – 16 total – 43.7
BICD 100 (Genetics) – B, 3
BIPN 100 (Mammalian Physiology I) – B+, 3.3
BIBC 100 (Structural Biochem) – B, 3
BIBC 102 (Metabolic Biochem) – A, 4
BIPN 102 (Mammalian Physiology II) – C, 2
BIBC 130 (Marine Biochemistry) – A-, 3.7
BIBC 103 (Biochemical techniques) – B+, 3.3
BIMM 100 (Molecular Bio) – D/B, 2 (2nd grade is retake)
BIMM 120 (Bacteriology) – B-, 2.7
BIPN 142 (Systems Neurobiology) – C, 2
BICD 110 (Cell Bio) – C, 2
BICD 140 (Immunology) – D/B, 2
BIPN 140 (Cellular Neurobiology) – B-, 2.7
BICD 120 (Fundamentals of Plant Bio) – C+, 2.3
BICD 150 (Immunology) – B, 3
BIMM 118 (Pharmacology) – B-, 2.7

THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise you not to apply this summer. First, you have a low GPA for both MD and DO programs. Second, if you take the MCAT this summer, your application will be late, giving you another disadvantage. Those along with almost no clinical experience will make it almost vitually impossible for you to get in. Since you know that you have recovered, you should take more classes and prove that you really have. Med schools will like to see your improvement. Don't lose hope. You can do this, but I think it'd be best to wait a year, get clincial experience, get good grades, take your time, study a lot, and do awesome on the MCAT.

I would advise you not to apply this summer. First, you have a low GPA for both MD and DO programs. Second, if you take the MCAT this summer, your application will be late, giving you another disadvantage. Those along with almost no clinical experience will make it almost vitually impossible for you to get in. Since you know that you have recovered, you should take more classes and prove that you really have. Med schools will like to see your improvement. Don't lose hope. You can do this, but I think it'd be best to wait a year, get clincial experience, get good grades, take your time, study a lot, and do awesome on the MCAT.
Thanks for the encouragement. No MCAT pretty much rules me out for SMP and it's too late to take the GREs. Where should I take classes for the next year? Extension?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what are things I could be doing in the next year while I apply to medical school... would getting a certain type of job be impressive? are there things like internships that i could apply for with a bs?

You sound like a pretty good SMP candidate imo.

You sound like a pretty good SMP candidate imo.
Yea but I dont have an MCAT score and teh deadline is like end of June. Should I just take a ton of adderall and just cram for that **** like a mother ****er and apply to SMPs anyway