WAMC MD-PhD Should I apply this year or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. Imamess

Reaction score
I have heard from some advisors that it would be better for me to wait until next year to apply for MD-PhD schools because I have very little clinical experience, no patient experience, and no publications in research. I have significant research experience, however. But I have heard from others that I should go ahead and try to apply this year, and if I don't get in, then no harm done - apply again next year. I graduated 2018. My biggest worry is that Med Schools will be judging the last 7 years of my life, if I don't get in, how can I make up everything I missed in just 1 year? So, should I apply this year or wait and get more clinical/patient experience and try to get a publication? I have criteria for my schools (fully funded, not the Midwest), but other than that I am not too picky. My ideal school would be Duke.

cGPA: 3.55 (Johns Hopkins)
sGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 514

I know that my stats are below average, which doesn't help the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied MD PhD this past cycle with a 515 MCAT and no publications and got over 10 interviews so you’re definitely in contention. It really comes down to your school selection, research experience, and narrative. That being said ruling out the Midwest entirely is not a good move in my opinion. There are tons of amazing schools in that region who are more forgiving about a lower MCAT.

Lack of publications is not an issue, especially because you still have a lot of research experience. However, you will be rejected without clinical experience. How will you answer "Why medicine and not just a PhD" when you have no experiences to reflect on? Get some clinical experience before you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied MD PhD this past cycle with a 515 MCAT and no publications and got over 10 interviews so you’re definitely in contention. It really comes down to your school selection, research experience, and narrative. That being said ruling out the Midwest entirely is not a good move in my opinion. There are tons of amazing schools in that region who are more forgiving about a lower MCAT.
That is heartening to hear. Congratulations! That tells me that my statistics aren't so hopeless, but, as Banco said, it comes down more to my clinical experience. So although I will try to get a publication, it makes me feel better about applying in a year even if I don't. Thank you both.