should i apply this year, or should i wait till next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikexima

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is the reality of things, i am by no means ready to apply this year. i feel like i am rushing into everything just to apply. please help me cuz i am going nuts here. a quick background

3 year community college GPA : 2.78
4 Year university GPA (2 years completed, going into 3rd, senior year): 3.46
total GPA: 2.99

yes my GPA sucks but thats not the end of things.

my application is almost complete, i will be submitting it next friday. i have NEVER taken the DAT's, im taking them end of august as im studying for it right now. i dont have ANY Letters of recommendation. 2 teachers are writing me one and they will be ready end of august.i have shadowed for 500 hours and have note ready ! im planning to apply to 30 schools but with my 2.99 GPA i prolly need a 24 on the DAT to pull it off. thats gonna be hard. i will be graduating with a BA in biology spring of 08. i havent taken biochem, upper english literature classes or any arts. plan to do all these before i graduate. so here is the situation. should i still apply this year? i can have all my transcripts, dat scores and letters in AADSAS by end of august and send application this coming friday. or should i just study for the DAT's this summer, the entire next year and take DAT's like april of 08. mean time take 25 units and get straight A's (i can do it, im very smart but i dont know how to manage my time). that will boost my GPA to 3.16 and hopefully i can get a 21+ DAT score where as if i take it next month, ill prolly get 18-19. then i can send my application in 06/01 with a good DAT score and 3.16 gpa.
now of course if i do this, i will be graduated and would have to be out of school for a year if i get in. if i dont, i have to go for masters program. if i go to masters program, do i have to finish it before i can get into dental school?

should i wait and apply next year with a 21 DAT 3.16 GPA or should i apply this year with an 18-19 DAT, 2.99 GPA WISHING that i will get into 1 out of 30 schools. i dont want a 19 DAT next to my 2.99. it looks bad..... i want my first dat score to be high.

Cliff notes:
if i apply this year: i have a 2.99. will be taking DAT end of august for 1st time. based on how studying is going, i estimate an 18-20 score. i want to apply to 30 places. i will send application thiscoming friday. my dat score + LOR will be submitted end of august.

if i apply next year: ill have a 3.16. a better dat score of 21-22. i will be graduated and will have everything ready for submission on 06/1.

it all boils down to this: spend $3000 to get in on time.
save $3000 and apply when im ready but waste 1 year of my life

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation as you. I figured that I would apply and give myself a chance of getting in and not wasting a year. If I get in, then I can practice dentistry a year earlier and that is a lot of money. On the other hand, with bad stats, we will probably get into a school that we may not enjoy and tuition that is twice as much as another school. I am applying this year just to give myself a chance. I will continue to improve my stats just in case I don't get in. Good luck.

i made up my mind after talking to several friends. i am not going to apply this year. instead i willl continue studying for the DAT through next march. i will graduate spring 08 with a 3.16 GPA and hopefully a 21+ DAT. since i have my application ready at the moment, its going to be very easy for me to send it in on 06/01 instead of applying right now 2 months late. when i think about it, if i even get in this year, its probably going to be a $hitty out of state school where if i decide to specialize in ortho, i wont be able to. id rather get in a year late into a good school in CA than spend 4 years of my life in an average school out of state.

what are your stats if i may ask ? i also hate the hole idea of "getting in a year late and having nothing to do"

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you save your app on your computer. I don't think you can access your AADSAS account after April for the next cycle.

i will. im just worried about getting in. i wonder how many times i would have to apply to get in with a 3.16

i am in a similar situation...it boils down to this. dental school isn't going anywhere so why not give yourself the best chance possible to get in somewhere you want to go?

i am staying an extra semester after my senior year to boost my GPA and dental school app.

my ten cents. good luck.

my stats are GPA 3.2 and I am taking the DAT on Monday (hopefully I destroy it). I am a California resident and know some Alumni at many schools. I received quite a bit of grant money this year, so I put that towards my application fees. I figure the money was given to me so I wasn't really missing out if I didn't get in this year. At least I am giving myself a chance this year. You never know what the admission committees are looking for. They always take a handful of low GPA students. I am taking my chances. But every one's situation is different.
To the person that wants to ortho, good luck man. It's the toughest to get into. I hope you are one of the top two in your dental class. For me, I will be happy to get into one of the dental schools I applied to.

Hi,

I am not in that situation yet (debating whether to put off dental school for another year after graduation), but I think I might be. Right now I have a 2.82 and 2 more years left before graduation. I am trying to pull my GPA up to a 3.3 when I graduate and then maybe spend 1 year in a MA program, volunteer, shadow, and study for the DAT at the same time. What does everyone think? Waste of time? Or should I be studying for my DAT at the end of my Junior year and apply with a LOW GPA?

Option1: Take 2 years and pull up GPA to 3.3 - Take one year off and study for DAT and/or enroll in 1 year MA program?

Option2: Study for DAT Junior year and apply at the end of Junior year with a lower GPA?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I am not in that situation yet (debating whether to put off dental school for another year after graduation), but I think I might be. Right now I have a 2.82 and 2 more years left before graduation. I am trying to pull my GPA up to a 3.3 when I graduate and then maybe spend 1 year in a MA program, volunteer, shadow, and study for the DAT at the same time. What does everyone think? Waste of time? Or should I be studying for my DAT at the end of my Junior year and apply with a LOW GPA?

Option1: Take 2 years and pull up GPA to 3.3 - Take one year off and study for DAT and/or enroll in 1 year MA program?

Option2: Study for DAT Junior year and apply at the end of Junior year with a lower GPA?

Thanks for the help!

If you've got the money apply both years... if not go with option 2...

Hi,

Thanks for the help!

I agree w/ option two as well. I am in the same boat except I won't be taking a MA so I not sure what is going to go with my school loans.