Should I apply to DA residency programs this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuresleepdentist14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m extremely interested in dental anesthesiology and plan to apply to residency programs at some point (now or in the future) but I don’t think my application program is strong enough to successfully get into a program this cycle. I had some issues that dropped my GPA so I don’t have the best GPA but I’ve worked hard to raise it back up. Should I apply to GPR programs and internships to improve my application or just go for Dental Anesthesiology? Also does anyone know of GPR programs that are have sedation and hospital rotations

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m extremely interested in dental anesthesiology and plan to apply to residency programs at some point (now or in the future) but I don’t think my application program is strong enough to successfully get into a program this cycle. I had some issues that dropped my GPA so I don’t have the best GPA but I’ve worked hard to raise it back up. Should I apply to GPR programs and internships to improve my application or just go for Dental Anesthesiology? Also does anyone know of GPR programs that are have sedation and hospital rotations

TIA!

Why are you interested? Most DA programs recommend top 10% of your class.

I really like how cerebral of a field dental anesthesiology is. I like that I get to use my basic science years (I loved loved loved biochem/metabolism, physiology and I like using my pharmacology knowledge clinically) and my clinical years in a meaningful way. I like that every day will be different since most DA don’t go the same office everyday, there is no one size fits all sedation and length of each procedure is going to vary (you may see 1 patient who’s getting a full mouth restoration or a few patients). I also like that you have to be one on one with your patients and that I’ll have the training to work with adults, peds and special needs (the last two are relatively underserved). Lastly, the DA that I’ve met seem genuinely happy with what they do and don’t have any regrets or any deep desire to return to traditional dentistry.

So you do not like dentistry. Well just say that :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users