Should I apply to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spartaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright SDN, new membership today but been a long time fan and follower. First post:

I'm 24 graduated with honors from Michigan State University Dec. '09 with a BS in Human Biology. I just got my mcat score and now im deciding where to apply bc $$ is something i do not have and this is costing a ton of cash on my own. My #s are:

cGPA: 3.63
bGPA: 3.68
MCAT: 28Q

Inflammation research at Harvard Medical School 1 year, JClinical Investigation acknowledgement
Spinal cord injury research at University of Miami Neurosurgery leading to FDA approval for phase 1 clinical trials 2 years, JNeurosciene coauthor ship
Licensed Michigan Realtor 3 years
Started MSU Arab Cultural Society 3 years, 3 to 400 members
Sparrow Hospital Volunteer Outpatient Surgery 1 year
Shadowed over 10 physicians in different fields
Currently working with the University of Miami Dept of Pediatric Critical Care

Luckily I got approved for the Fee Assistance Program, but I'm still looking at about $1500 for 60 primaries alone. Already worked on getting a bank personal loan but it might not be enough. I'm a Florida resident now as I wish to stay in FL for med school but my list of schools ranges all over the place. Used MSAR to gage my competitiveness to land me with 60 big ones. Don't know also if it's worth applying to DO? Will my app put me in an MD seat this cycle or is it worth the extra cash I don't have to apply DO which I wouldn't mind practicing too much.

What would you all do?

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally apply to DO just in case, Florida has 2 big DO schools... NOVA and LECOM

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you know what 60 primaries feels like until you're doing the secondaries. For the sake of your own sanity, stick with 40-50 at the most.

Don't even consider doing 60 primaries, that's insane. Very few people apply to more than 30. If I were you, I would apply to a bunch of DO schools and small handful of MD as well. Your stats could get you into schools like FSU. Definitely apply in state. Consider retaking the MCAT because your GPA is good. But dude.... don't apply to 60 schools.

Okay good, I didn't know how I was possibly going to get 60 secondaries done in two weeks. I guess I did overshoot, I wasn't sure what was a normal amount to aim for. But most of these schools were ones I noticed were ballpark for my stats and felt obligated to give them all a chance. I'll try and weed out the schools either cost too much or I know I wouldn't be super excited to move out for.

Thanks everyone for the input, by any chance do any of you out there know which schools are more favorable for my numbers and as a Florida resident? For example, I remember weeding out a New Mexico or an Arizona school b/c it stated a favorablity for certain residents from nearby states and especially the ones without med schools (Wyoming, Montana, Alaska etc). I guess my question is which other schools besides Florida schools should I definitely keep on my list to apply to?

Also, I want to do something surgical for residency not sure what yet. Wouldn't DO put me at a disadvantage?

Thanks in advance

DOs can have their own residencies. If you're looking to go into academic medicine, something that I would enjoy, but likely can't because of my stats, you will be at a disadvantage. Also, count out radonc and likely derm, plastics, urology, ophthalmology, and ENT unless you somehow smash everything and everyone for the next 5 years.

Historically, around 50% of (Caucasian) MD applicants with GPA/MCAT stats like yours have been accepted. If you are URM, this obviously will be higher.

I would apply broadly to MD schools, and maybe like 1-3 DO schools as a backup. Be careful about getting an early DO acceptance, because they require multiply $1000 deposits to hold a class seat.

GPAs are good, MCAT might hurt a bit with some but not all schools. Do some more researach and see where you're most competetive, esp. in FL and neighboring states.
Do NOT apply to state schools outside of FL though.

Alright SDN, new membership today but been a long time fan and follower. First post:

I'm 24 graduated with honors from Michigan State University Dec. '09 with a BS in Human Biology. I just got my mcat score and now im deciding where to apply bc $$ is something i do not have and this is costing a ton of cash on my own. My #s are:

cGPA: 3.63
bGPA: 3.68
MCAT: 28Q

Inflammation research at Harvard Medical School 1 year, JClinical Investigation acknowledgement
Spinal cord injury research at University of Miami Neurosurgery leading to FDA approval for phase 1 clinical trials 2 years, JNeurosciene coauthor ship
Licensed Michigan Realtor 3 years
Started MSU Arab Cultural Society 3 years, 3 to 400 members
Sparrow Hospital Volunteer Outpatient Surgery 1 year
Shadowed over 10 physicians in different fields
Currently working with the University of Miami Dept of Pediatric Critical Care

Luckily I got approved for the Fee Assistance Program, but I'm still looking at about $1500 for 60 primaries alone. Already worked on getting a bank personal loan but it might not be enough. I'm a Florida resident now as I wish to stay in FL for med school but my list of schools ranges all over the place. Used MSAR to gage my competitiveness to land me with 60 big ones. Don't know also if it's worth applying to DO? Will my app put me in an MD seat this cycle or is it worth the extra cash I don't have to apply DO which I wouldn't mind practicing too much.

What would you all do?

Okay so I've chopped a bunch of schools off my list and here's what I'm left with. Please tell me your thoughts.

MD:

Florida Schools:
University of Florida
University of Miami
University of Southern Florida
University of Central Florida
Florida Atlantic University
Florida International University
Florida State University

Michigan Schools:
University of Michigan (reach)
Michigan State University
Central Michigan University
Oakland University

Boston University
University of Rochester
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Thomas Jefferson University
Loyola University
New York Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
Saint Louis University
Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel University
Pennsylvania State University

DO:

Michigan State University, MI
Nova Southeastern University, FL
Lake Erie College, FL
Lake Erie College, PA
Philadelphia College, PA
Chicago College, IL
New York College, NY
University of New England, ME

Thoughts???

I would add Rush too--they have really low numbers and are very focused on healthcare volunteering and stuff. So your bad numbers wouldn't really be a hindrance there.