Should I apply to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drizey223

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm having difficulties deciding if I should apply to med school as I'm afraid my application is significantly hindered by my GPA. I was an econ and biomedical sciences double major in college (ivy) and had a cumm GPA and sci GPA between a 3.6-3.65. I took the MCAT last year and scored a balanced 516. On the surface that paring seems fine, however, there is an issue with my GPA, as I've gotten 4 Cs in core-pre med classes (overall upward trend; but the Cs are dispersed). I've done better in my upper level elective science classes, but I'm afraid the 4 Cs substantially hurt my chances. I'm currently 1 year removed from UG and work at a bank in NY. I probably have average ecs/volunteering/clinical volunteering/shadowing/publications. I'm debating between either applying next cycle (focus on making the rest of my app better), or quitting my job, and doing some form of a post-bac to make up for the GPA.

All insight appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Is your school top three? Your MCAT and GPA makes you viable for mid-tier MD schools, or even high tier if you're URM. Don't take a post-bacc because it would be expensive and very hard to justify.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for many MD schools. Are you a New York resident ? You do not need a post bacc.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! While I currently live in NY, I'm originally from PA. I'm still looking into whether I can claim myself as in-state in NY over PA. Sorry to ask so many questions but do you think I need to apply DO?

@UnitedStates - Thanks for the reply. not top 3, but top 6ish. Also not URM.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Commonwealth Geisinger
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
If you claim NY residency then apply to all 4 SUNYs also.
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.