Should I ask if my Professionalism Note is Wiped Off my File or Just Leave it Alone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpremed12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to my Dean of Student Affairs, I had a professionalism note placed in my file and was told it would be shredded in 6 months as long as I stayed out of trouble. To my knowledge, no one has had any reason to complain about me thereafter, and I haven't been called in to talk to the Dean of Student Affairs since then. Since it's been past the time she said it would be shredded, I am wondering if I should reach out to her and ask if it has indeed been shredded, or if I should just stay low and not draw any attention to it.

Members don't see this ad.

Let it ride. Just check for it on your MSPE when the time comes to be sure and get it removed then if need be. Otherwise keep your nose clean and don’t rock the boat.

Reactions: 8 users
According to my Dean of Student Affairs, I had a professionalism note placed in my file and was told it would be shredded in 6 months as long as I stayed out of trouble. To my knowledge, no one has had any reason to complain about me thereafter, and I haven't been called in to talk to the Dean of Student Affairs since then. Since it's been past the time she said it would be shredded, I am wondering if I should reach out to her and ask if it has indeed been shredded, or if I should just stay low and not draw any attention to it.

Having a note placed in one's file is vague. On one hand, following up on it would be a stupid idea if whoever disciplined you forgot to document it/place record of it in your file although that kind of luck is unlikely. Depending on the severity of the concern, you may want to know whether it's going to come back to bite you now rather than later. I would simply ask your dean of academic affairs (or whoever admin puts up as their front for students) about whether it will show up on your MSPE.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a note placed in one's file is vague. On one hand, following up on it would be a stupid idea if whoever disciplined you forgot to document it/place record of it in your file although that kind of luck is unlikely. Depending on the severity of the concern, you may want to know whether it's going to come back to bite you now rather than later. I would simply ask your dean of academic affairs (or whoever admin puts up as their front for students) about whether it will show up on your MSPE.
Her exact words were "It'll be shredded in 6 months, and it'll be like it never happened." She didn't say anything about MSPE. How should I go about asking this? Should I ask this now or ask at the time I'm applying for residency?

do you get to see your MSPE?
Yeah. I think most schools let you proofread it for errors. We were allowed to read it and fact check it but they said they wouldn’t otherwise make any edits.

I’m glad I did too because they had put someone else’s comments on my letter (that thankfully included his name) so they fixed it before submission.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah. I think most schools let you proofread it for errors. We were allowed to read it and fact check it but they said they wouldn’t otherwise make any edits.

I’m glad I did too because they had put someone else’s comments on my letter (that thankfully included his name) so they fixed it before submission.
Ah ok, that's a huge relief. I think I'll just lay low and then make sure it's not on the MSPE, and if it shows up there, then I'll ask her what happened and remind her what she said. I'm a little paranoid since none of this was in writing, and she just verbally said it, but like the other poster said, that might work to my advantage if they forgot to document it

Also follow up question: what happens if something is in your file but not your MSPE? Do residency programs still know about it?

Her exact words were "It'll be shredded in 6 months, and it'll be like it never happened." She didn't say anything about MSPE. How should I go about asking this? Should I ask this now or ask at the time I'm applying for residency?
It hardly matters. Just ask an upperclassmen to make sure your school gives you your MSPE to proofread prior to applications. If they do, just wait until then. If they don't might as well ask for brief clarification now.

Hi all, sorry, follow-up q. I know this is far into the future, but does anyone know how this would affect licensure? I recently learned that there is a question on my state's licensure application that states "were you ever been subject to disciplinary action in medical school?" - would this count as something I'd need to report?

Hi all, sorry, follow-up q. I know this is far into the future, but does anyone know how this would affect licensure? I recently learned that there is a question on my state's licensure application that states "were you ever been subject to disciplinary action in medical school?" - would this count as something I'd need to report?
Your admin said it would be shredded in 6 months. Confirm with them. Don’t mention the license application directly but mention it this is something you have will have to report if anyone asks you if you have been disciplined in medical school.

Your admin said it would be shredded in 6 months. Confirm with them. Don’t mention the license application directly but mention it this is something you have will have to report if anyone asks you if you have been disciplined in medical school.
So should I should ask this after the MSPE goes out, in case it wasn't documented at all? BTW I was able to confirm with upperclassmen that I will be able to see my MSPE before it goes out.

So should I should ask this after the MSPE goes out, in case it wasn't documented at all? BTW I was able to confirm with upperclassmen that I will be able to see my MSPE before it goes out.
No. Just go in person to meet with someone regarding the incident and ask if this will potentially be need to reported as a disciplinary event in medical school because you do not want to misreport things on licensing forms. I’m guessing the answer will be that this won’t need to be reported and you’ll be good to go.

Reactions: 1 users
No. Just go in person to meet with someone regarding the incident and ask if this will potentially be need to reported as a disciplinary event in medical school because you do not want to misreport things on licensing forms. I’m guessing the answer will be that this won’t need to be reported and you’ll be good to go.
Ok thank you so much! I will do that!