Should i attend an interview even if i know i won't be accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aoselby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in a bit of a dilemma. I have an interview coming up next week. At first I was super excited about it, but was told that they would not accept any science classes over the summer, which i'm lacking physics :( The advisor said that i need to take that physics class and apply next year, and she said that I still have the option of coming to the interview for experience. My question is should i go?? Should i go for the experience which could make me maybe more prepared for next year..or would i be wasting my time :confused: i'm still pretty bummed because I was planning on starting pharmacy school this year but now I have to wait a WHOLE year! Not to mention ill be turning 26 this year, meaning ill be 27 when I start, which really sucks because i was really hoping to be a pharmacist by 30

Members don't see this ad.

Since there's no way around the situation you're in, I'd say go for it. I mean who wouldn't want to know exactly what to expect before their REAL interview? Just try not to say anything too silly since you might be interviewed by some of the same people next year.

I'd say as long as it's not going to cost you a ton, go. Especially if it's one of your top choice schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in a bit of a dilemma. I have an interview coming up next week. At first I was super excited about it, but was told that they would not accept any science classes over the summer, which i'm lacking physics :( The advisor said that i need to take that physics class and apply next year, and she said that I still have the option of coming to the interview for experience. My question is should i go?? Should i go for the experience which could make me maybe more prepared for next year..or would i be wasting my time :confused: i'm still pretty bummed because I was planning on starting pharmacy school this year but now I have to wait a WHOLE year! Not to mention ill be turning 26 this year, meaning ill be 27 when I start, which really sucks because i was really hoping to be a pharmacist by 30

I guess I would check with a few other people prior to giving up that quickly. Oftentimes schools make exceptions for cases such as yours and in this instance I don't see why they wouldn't. If it is true, and they refuse to budge, I guess I would still go simply for the experience (as long as it isn't cross-country and will cost you a good chunk of cash). I would truly exhaust all options there though (without coming off as pushy or belligerent). It doesn't hurt to ask a couple of different people though. Maybe via phone call as it is not as easy to brush someone off when you are talking to them on the phone. Maybe you can explain your situation to your interviewer and ask what your chances would be after the interview. Not sure where your age is coming into this situation, but 1 year won't kill you. I know people that have taken 6-7 tries to get into pharmacy school so you can at least take solace in knowing that you were granted an interview on your first go. Should only help prepare you for next year, if it comes to that.

I really think that you should go to the interview just for the experience. They told you to still come for the interview? And what was that about them not taking summer science courses and what school is that that is doing this? I think if they asked you to come for an interview that you have a chance to get into their school because why would they ask for an interview from you in the first place?:)

Maybe there's a course you can take in May and get them the transcript in June? (the spring transcripts for where I am attending are due in June)...I would ask them and search for whatever you can find online and locally of what you can take. It's worth it to exhaust all the options you can...most universities have open enrollment for summer and maybe you can find one that has a session that early. As for being 27 when you start...join the club. :p

Thanks guys for all the helpfull input. Makes me feel better about my choice to go. I figure it won't hurt :) not to mention It's only a 2.5 hr drive. As far as the school it's UNM and is my top school and the only one that i have recieved an interview from. The lady that I've been speaking to said that all science classes had to be done by summer or else I would not be accepted ( this is after my interview invite) is there an online course that I could take and get it done by the end of may? That would be awesome! Anyone know anything about university of phoenix? I would have to have it done by may though is the only problem

Thanks guys for all the helpfull input. Makes me feel better about my choice to go. I figure it won't hurt :) not to mention It's only a 2.5 hr drive. As far as the school it's UNM and is my top school and the only one that i have recieved an interview from. The lady that I've been speaking to said that all science classes had to be done by summer or else I would not be accepted ( this is after my interview invite) is there an online course that I could take and get it done by the end of may? That would be awesome! Anyone know anything about university of phoenix? I would have to have it done by may though is the only problem

I just sent you a pm...

if it's not too expensive, then yes do it. It's good practice.