Should I avoid talking about mental illness in a secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grades in my Junior and Senior year were really hurt by my social anxiety. I would stay in my room and play games all day afraid to step outside to even get food. I think I only went to classes to take tests. As a result my GPA for those years was around a 3.35.

After graduating, I decided that this was something that really needed to change. I sought help from a social worker, and got a job at a hospital that required me to talk to strangers every day. It's been 2 years since then and I believe I have overcome my anxiety. I am very comfortable talking with patients, doctors and nurses as well as my coworkers. I don't worry about what others think of me anymore. I also took Biochemistry while working full time and got an A in it just to show schools that I can do well when I go to class.

Regardless of the story, would it reflect poorly on me that I once had this problem? Should I not take the risk of mentioning this in a secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

It's fair fodder for those "Greatest Challenge"? prompts.
Oh hey Goro I like the new cat picture!

Would this count as a "greatest challenge" prompt?

Please provide a description of a personal dilemma relating to ONE of the nine following personal competencies that are important to success in medical education and physician practice. Limit your answer to 500 words. Any additional information beyond one page will not be evaluated.

One of the competencies is Social and Interpersonal Skills

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely!
Oh hey Goro I like the new cat picture!

Would this count as a "greatest challenge" prompt?

Please provide a description of a personal dilemma relating to ONE of the nine following personal competencies that are important to success in medical education and physician practice. Limit your answer to 500 words. Any additional information beyond one page will not be evaluated.

One of the competencies is Social and Interpersonal Skills

Dude I would definitely talk about it. You were able to overcome your mental illness in a positive way that you can role model for patients in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Should you avoid talking about mental illness in a secondary? Yes, you should avoid it.

You don't want any questions raised about whether or not you will be able to "handle" the stress of medical school and practice.

it's great that you overcame it and i'm really happy for you! i would definitely talk about it, but i would suggest trying to make it sound less severe than you did in your post and soften it a little so that it comes across less as a mental illness and more of a personality/character issue or flaw. i'm not trying to invalidate your experience; i just think it may not be well received due to stigma and i wouldn't want to risk an ignorant adcom thinking, "well what if lululovesme relapses or something?"

I wouldn't, if I were you. You already give off something of an "anxious/lacking self confidence" vibe on SDN and I'm guessing it may also be apparent in your written material for primaries/secondaries. Try not to draw more attention to it.