Should I be concerned/consider retaking?

Started by RunGently
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RunGently

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my MCAT scores back and they were very unbalanced: 28 (11/10/7). Should I be concerned the my biology score is a 7 or should I apply and see what happens. My cumulative and science gpa is 3.43 with a few retakes and I feel I have slightly above average ECs. Should I go ahead and apply or will I be screened out with the 7? Should I retake? Any thoughts would be great!
 
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I always told myself that I wouldn't retake a 28 but I was assuming I'd do well enough on each section. Do you think I should retake or just apply and hope for the best? I'm somewhat concerned that retaking would result in a lower score 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I always told myself that I wouldn't retake a 28 but I was assuming I'd do well enough on each section. Do you think I should retake or just apply and hope for the best? I'm somewhat concerned that retaking would result in a lower score 😛

Agree with Goro - retake that ish
 
Thanks guys! Overall not what I was hoping to hear but it's good to hear all of your advice. Should I submit my application now and then look to update the MCAT later if I do decide to retake or will it be better to have a retake score before I submit?
 
Thanks guys! Overall not what I was hoping to hear but it's good to hear all of your advice. Should I submit my application now and then look to update the MCAT later if I do decide to retake or will it be better to have a retake score before I submit?

If you are satisfied with getting into a school, then it would be pointless to retake. There is just diminishing returns, if you are applying this year, unless you score a 34+. Well, I can understand considering the change of the MCAT. So I guess it would be okay to retake in this situation.
 
Thanks guys! Overall not what I was hoping to hear but it's good to hear all of your advice. Should I submit my application now and then look to update the MCAT later if I do decide to retake or will it be better to have a retake score before I submit?
again, would NOT suggest going through the stress of an MCAT retake. Your score is above the matriculant median. Focus instead on your secondaries and interview skills.