Should I become a PA or NP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted830324

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a current community college student and I thought about going to medical school but I really want to work in a family practice or be a hospitalist. I will transfer to a local four year university and major in Biology but I have though about just getting my ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then work on a BSN and then eventually a DNP. I have also thought about becoming an X Ray Tech and working on a bachelors and the pre reqs needed for a PA program. I really don’t have an interest in becoming a nurse. So I feel that becoming a PA is the route to go! I’ve heard that PA’s are more preferred in a hospital setting. Why? Which route would be the best? Would it be better to become a PA or an NP?


(Non - Trad Route To PA School)
• Get an Associates Of Applied Science In Radiologic Technology (become an X Ray Tech to gain the HCE hours needed for any PA program).

• Work on a Bachelors Of Science In Biology with all the necessary pre requisites needed for any PA program and take the GRE. (This would take about 9 years from start to finish). I would be working full time as an X Ray Tech while taking 2 classes per semester.

OR

(More Traditional Undergrad Route)

• Get my CNA and continue to work on my bachelors degree and just work part time as a CNA while earning a B.S. in Biology (since PA programs require that you have HCE hours).

OR

(Nursing Route)
• Switch my major and earn an ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then take the NCLEX and become a Nurse.

• Also Get my CNA because the nursing program at my community college requires you to get your CNA.

• Do an RN - BSN program

• Enter an NP program in the future after several years of experience as a nurse
 
I guess my question is what do you like about being a PA you don’t like about being a nurse? Being an FNP isn’t too different than being a PA at the hospital level unless you are planning to do a surgical specialty.

Nursing would be a faster method. 2 years AD RN degree then about 2 years to BSN (while working full time as an RN) then 2 years to FNP while working full time as a BSN. So around 6-7 years total with employment full time around 5 of those years.

PA route. 4 years at least undergrad or longer if you’re trying to work. Also health care hours either the X-ray tech route (not very helpful IMO) or some other route (EMT would be better) and then 2 years PA program full time no wor
I am a current community college student and I thought about going to medical school but I really want to work in a family practice or be a hospitalist. I will transfer to a local four year university and major in Biology but I have though about just getting my ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then work on a BSN and then eventually a DNP. I have also thought about becoming an X Ray Tech and working on a bachelors and the pre reqs needed for a PA program. I really don’t have an interest in becoming a nurse. So I feel that becoming a PA is the route to go! I’ve heard that PA’s are more preferred in a hospital setting. Why? Which route would be the best? Would it be better to become a PA or an NP?


(Non - Trad Route To PA School)
• Get an Associates Of Applied Science In Radiologic Technology (become an X Ray Tech to gain the HCE hours needed for any PA program).

• Work on a Bachelors Of Science In Biology with all the necessary pre requisites needed for any PA program and take the GRE. (This would take about 9 years from start to finish). I would be working full time as an X Ray Tech while taking 2 classes per semester.

OR

(More Traditional Undergrad Route)

• Get my CNA and continue to work on my bachelors degree and just work part time as a CNA while earning a B.S. in Biology (since PA programs require that you have HCE hours).

OR

(Nursing Route)
• Switch my major and earn an ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then take the NCLEX and become a Nurse.

• Also Get my CNA because the nursing program at my community college requires you to get your CNA.

• Do an RN - BSN program

• Enter an NP program in the future after several years of experience as a nurse
 
I guess my question is what do you like about being a PA you don’t like about being a nurse? Being an FNP isn’t too different than being a PA at the hospital level unless you are planning to do a surgical specialty.

Nursing would be a faster method. 2 years AD RN degree then about 2 years to BSN (while working full time as an RN) then 2 years to FNP while working full time as a BSN. So around 6-7 years total with employment full time around 5 of those years.

PA route. 4 years at least undergrad or longer if you’re trying to work. Also health care hours either the X-ray tech route (not very helpful IMO) or some other route (EMT would be better) and then 2 years PA program full time no wor

Most ADN programs take 3 years to complete, unless you plan on paying 60,000 for an associate. Then another 3-4 for a DNP.