Should I bother applying to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ateria

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this is my situation. I am a pretty bad test taker and it affected my first year of college the most. I am very interested in dental school but the reality is that my GPA is not amazing and this is really making me wonder if I should bother spending $3000 dollars just applying.

I am just at the end of my second year and am planning to apply in the Summer of 2018. I have an overall GPA right now of 3.00/4.33 and a science GPA of 3.1 with a BCP GPA of 3.25. I have not taken the DAT yet but if i decide to apply I am planning to take it next semester. I am decent at the sciences, its just that I really am horrible at exams and I don't really know how else I can prove my academic ability. I have done a lot of research in my undergrad in reputable companies and in an academic setting and I have over 400 hours of teaching and leadership experience.

If i repeat a few courses and take my upper division I think I can raise my overall to a 3.3 and my science and BCP GPA to around a 3.35-3.4 by June 1st, but its barely making the cut for decent schools in this field. I could update my transcript with more grades in November. I am a Chemistry major.

I need some honest advise if this stressful process has any chance whatsoever of paying off considering I'll be applying as a Canadian.

I like NYU, USC, BU, pitt, UCSF, uconn, university of Minnesota...
 
People have gotten in with lower GPAs! I get how you're feeling, though. If you're sure that you can raise your gpa to the amount you think you can, and get a good DAT score, it's def. worth applying. You can't win the game if you don't play! For some perspective, I boosted my semester GPAs from a ~3.2 avg to ~3.7 the year before I wanted to apply once I started pushing myself.
 
So they really do like the upward trend? I've raised my semester GPA from close to 2.67 to a 3.6 last semester.. i just feel like they will just throw ou the application and not read ahead ... after they see the 'numbers' 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You've got to take the DAT in order to know where you stand but I think if you raise overall to a 3.3 and science/BCP GPA to around a 3.35-3.4 with a good DAT you have a solid chance
 
You don't have too many credits, so each class weighs heavier on your overall GPA. Work hard because you still have time to be competitive.