Should I bother applying to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ateria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my situation. I am a pretty bad test taker and it affected my first year of college the most. I am very interested in dental school but the reality is that my GPA is not amazing and this is really making me wonder if I should bother spending $3000 dollars just applying.

I am just at the end of my second year and am planning to apply in the Summer of 2018. I have an overall GPA right now of 3.00/4.33 and a science GPA of 3.1 with a BCP GPA of 3.25. I have not taken the DAT yet but if i decide to apply I am planning to take it next semester. I am decent at the sciences, its just that I really am horrible at exams and I don't really know how else I can prove my academic ability. I have done a lot of research in my undergrad in reputable companies and in an academic setting and I have over 400 hours of teaching and leadership experience.

If i repeat a few courses and take my upper division I think I can raise my overall to a 3.3 and my science and BCP GPA to around a 3.35-3.4 by June 1st, but its barely making the cut for decent schools in this field. I could update my transcript with more grades in November. I am a Chemistry major.

I need some honest advise if this stressful process has any chance whatsoever of paying off considering I'll be applying as a Canadian.

I like NYU, USC, BU, pitt, UCSF, uconn, university of Minnesota...

Members don't see this ad.

People have gotten in with lower GPAs! I get how you're feeling, though. If you're sure that you can raise your gpa to the amount you think you can, and get a good DAT score, it's def. worth applying. You can't win the game if you don't play! For some perspective, I boosted my semester GPAs from a ~3.2 avg to ~3.7 the year before I wanted to apply once I started pushing myself.

So they really do like the upward trend? I've raised my semester GPA from close to 2.67 to a 3.6 last semester.. i just feel like they will just throw ou the application and not read ahead ... after they see the 'numbers' :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You've got to take the DAT in order to know where you stand but I think if you raise overall to a 3.3 and science/BCP GPA to around a 3.35-3.4 with a good DAT you have a solid chance

You still have enough time to improve if you have enough willingness of course :)

You don't have too many credits, so each class weighs heavier on your overall GPA. Work hard because you still have time to be competitive.