Should I bring my dog with me?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed at length but my family really has me freaked out and they're convinced that if I have a dog, it will be the beginning of the end for me and I'll flunk out in disgrace.

I'm going to be an M1 at UIC- Champaign. I'm not going to have a roommate or significant other to help me, I guess I could try really hard to make dog-loving friends in my building. I'm really concerned about what time I'm going to end up getting home every night. I just looked at our schedule and it looks like, most days, stuff ends at 5pm. Fine, but sometimes stuff goes until 7!? Also, when a schedule says something, like a lab, ends at 5- is that really when you get home or are people ridiculous and stay for hours afterwards?

Can people who have had dogs and managed to be successful in school please share some advice/stories to make me feel better?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you getting a new dog or bringing a dog you already have? If you're just bringing a dog you already know that house trained and don't live too far from friends or family who can help you out from time to time, then having a dog in med school isn't a problem. Actually having a furry little companion is a plus when it comes to handling the stresses of school. However, raising a puppy especially w/o outside help would be very stressful in med school and wouldn't be fair to the dog.

My dog is a 2 1/2 year old, 35 lb pit mix. I've had her for 2 years now. She's trained and everything, I'm just concerned about getting home in a timely manner everyday to walk her.

Members don't see this ad :)
redruby said:
I know this has been discussed at length but my family really has me freaked out and they're convinced that if I have a dog, it will be the beginning of the end for me and I'll flunk out in disgrace.

I'm going to be an M1 at UIC- Champaign. I'm not going to have a roommate or significant other to help me, I guess I could try really hard to make dog-loving friends in my building. I'm really concerned about what time I'm going to end up getting home every night. I just looked at our schedule and it looks like, most days, stuff ends at 5pm. Fine, but sometimes stuff goes until 7!? Also, when a schedule says something, like a lab, ends at 5- is that really when you get home or are people ridiculous and stay for hours afterwards?

Can people who have had dogs and managed to be successful in school please share some advice/stories to make me feel better?

I have two schnauzers (a seven year old, and a 4 month old), a 30gal saltwater coral reef tank, and two kids, ages 5 and 3.
As far as GPA, I had a 3.9 for MS1, and missed a 4.0 by having an 89.3% in one class. So, yes, it can easily be done without affecting your schoolwork.
Just because you're starting med school, doesn't mean that you have to give up any sembelane of your formerly responsible life. It's just more prioritizing. I was especially worried that I wouldn't have time to take care of my reef tank. however, once school started, it became apparent that you have time to do those other things, and if you don't think that you do, then you need to make time. Forcing yourself to do so, will, as an indirect benefit, help you keep your sanity, by preventing you from studying 25 hrs a day and becoming rapidly burned out. If you take time to do other things besides studying, it's amazing how enjoyable medical school becomes.

hey redruby,
dogs in chambana shud be aite, if you have the time. The M1s i saw there worked their butts off in grainger (the top library there!!!) But if you have the time, more power to ya. Plus the paign has got plenty of land for ya to have fun with your dog. good luck.

i go to UIUC, and i think it depends on where your apt is.

there isn't usually anything scheduled between 12 and 1pm (except maybe on IHD days), so you could go home at lunch if you lived close by. but if you have to take the bus, you probably wouldn't have much time to sit and eat before you had to catch the bus back to campus. the labs sometimes end earlier than 5pm and you don't have lab all 5 days of the week. when you are dissecting for anatomy or around exam time (review sessions are at night) it might be later, but i think you could make it work!

drdr2010 said:
i go to UIUC, and i think it depends on where your apt is.

there isn't usually anything scheduled between 12 and 1pm (except maybe on IHD days), so you could go home at lunch if you lived close by. but if you have to take the bus, you probably wouldn't have much time to sit and eat before you had to catch the bus back to campus. the labs sometimes end earlier than 5pm and you don't have lab all 5 days of the week. when you are dissecting for anatomy or around exam time (review sessions are at night) it might be later, but i think you could make it work!

Hey, thanks! I'll live about a mile from campus, I was planning on maybe getting a bike. I wonder how long the bus takes? I also thought that if I had to walk her during lunch, I could eat and walk at the same time...