Should I buy a newer version PCAT book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackeyWackey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the question says, I have a 04-05 Kaplan PCAT studyguide book. I am curious, I did not do so well on this past June PCAT, and I was wondering if I should invest in a newer one. I know that pretty much the only different thing in the newer books is the essay part, and a bit more calculus. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

BackeyWackey said:
Just as the question says, I have a 04-05 Kaplan PCAT studyguide book. I am curious, I did not do so well on this past June PCAT, and I was wondering if I should invest in a newer one. I know that pretty much the only different thing in the newer books is the essay part, and a bit more calculus. What do you all think?

The 2006 Kaplan version has only little changes. The essay section is maybe 5 pages of hints on how to write it, the Orgo section is DEFINITELY not enough, and it's best to study Calc with your own textbook. What I would suggest, if you really want the 2006 content, is to find someone who has it and photocopy those sections. You could even buy it, photocopy it and return it the same day :p [and then barnes and noble comes and sues me for saying such things]. 15 pages of extra content is not worth the another $50.

Ok thanks. BTW I did well on the essay part ( I scored a 4) so Im not a bit worried about reading much on that.

BackeyWackey said:
Ok thanks. BTW I did well on the essay part ( I scored a 4) so Im not a bit worried about reading much on that.
hey backeywackey
I also have the same version of KAplan Pcat 2004-2005 edition. I am going to give PCAT this OCT 2006. Although not much, i came to know that few of the contents have been changed. They have introduced the calculus part for math and added some organic stuff in chem. Is that true?
Can any1 wid a Kaplan PCAT 2006-2007 follow up on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
risktaker said:
hey backeywackey
I also have the same version of KAplan Pcat 2004-2005 edition. I am going to give PCAT this OCT 2006. Although not much, i came to know that few of the contents have been changed. They have introduced the calculus part for math and added some organic stuff in chem. Is that true?
Can any1 wid a Kaplan PCAT 2006-2007 follow up on this?

Hmm I'm not sure what you're asking since two posts before this I discussed how there was new calc and organic material on the PCAT 2006-2007 version ???

i have that same version too and it says you can login online and get the calculus information. i had trouble doing this, you have to register and it wouldnt let me do it did anyone else have this problem? ugh i hate calling places when the computer system doesn't work, especially since i paid for the book. *end rant* perhaps ill do the above suggestion and photocopy it ;)

ageldred said:
i have that same version too and it says you can login online and get the calculus information. i had trouble doing this, you have to register and it wouldnt let me do it did anyone else have this problem? ugh i hate calling places when the computer system doesn't work, especially since i paid for the book. *end rant* perhaps ill do the above suggestion and photocopy it ;)
I used the log-in version of the calculus - it's ok, but in my opinion it is not enough to do well on the test. I knew how to do all the Kaplan practice calc on-line, but on test day I saw a LOT of calc questions that I had no idea how to do.