Should i call all the schools i applied to to tell them....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
that there was a mistake on my AMCAS? I selected white as my race but somehow it changed to "other"!!!
I called the amcas people and they told me they or I (me) cant change it anymore! so, they told me to go ahead and call ALL the schools i applied to...thats 27 schools!!!!!

what should i do? advice please!

thx guys

btw, i was not born here, i am from the middle east.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think e-mailing the offices should suffice. Its not that important of a question as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, the same thing happened to me... I thought I clicked "white" but the it showed up as "other." (insert x-files theme) Luckily I caught it in time before I submitted.... so now it's ok.

The best option of course is to write to them. They can't easily ignore a letter. What you do is, go to AAMC.org and get all the addresses... load them into a word document.... buy MSWord compatable labels... then print out the addresses onto the labels. If you do it right, you should be apply to send out a letter to all your schools in less than 40 minutes.

If you don't want to do that... I would just e-mail them.

Good luck :)

Originally posted by Femtochemistry
that there was a mistake on my AMCAS? I selected white as my race but somehow it changed to "other"!!!
I called the amcas people and they told me they or I (me) cant change it anymore! so, they told me to go ahead and call ALL the schools i applied to...thats 27 schools!!!!!

what should i do? advice please!

thx guys

btw, i was not born here, i am from the middle east.
Dude, if I recall correctly, you're from Iraq, right? Yeah, um, just leave it as other and blame it on AMCAS. After all, it is their fault. Not yours. I know I sure as hell wouldn't be calling up schools saying "look at me, look at me, I'm from Iraq!" Haha, not that being "other" is gonna get you any favors, but I know being from Iraq sure as hell ain't gonna help your cause. In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Either e-mail the admissions office to tell them, or if you are from Iraq like Papa Smurf said, then forget about it.

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
Dude, if I recall correctly, you're from Iraq, right? Yeah, um, just leave it as other and blame it on AMCAS. After all, it is their fault. Not yours. I know I sure as hell wouldn't be calling up schools saying "look at me, look at me, I'm from Iraq!" Haha, not that being "other" is gonna get you any favors, but I know being from Iraq sure as hell ain't gonna help your cause. In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Well, i'd personally expect a LITTLE more from a committee made up of established doctors and medical students to not be THAT ignorant.

Originally posted by DW

Well, i'd personally expect a LITTLE more from a committee made up of established doctors and medical students to not be THAT ignorant.
Yeah, uh, so did a few highly qualified Muslims I know that will be reapplying in this post 9/11 world.

Yeah, uh, so did a few highly qualified Muslims I know that will be reapplying in this post 9/11 world.

i remeber thinking about how badly this would affect their chances for admission. no doubt it played a part, imagine intervieing at any of the nyc schools around that time. rough.
-jot

I could be wrong but isn't there a option to choose middle eastern? And why does it matter if you put other or white. Technically I don't think you would be considered white anyway. Maybe you should have posted this in the Persian Med student thread:D Just kidding I couldn't resist (No flaming Please)

but seriously it's an optional question so it shouldn't make a difference either way. It's only for statistical purposes and they are going to see what you look like WHEN you send in your secondaries and photos. If it's important toyou then I would write the letters and keep a copy for myself. Email (as qucik as it is) can be unreliable in that they can be easily and inadvertantly erased. Do a MS Word Form letter and send it out to all of the schools. Good Luck!

Originally posted by Papa Smurf

Hey man, I just I EXPECTED better. Once again, welcome to the reality we all live in. My Sikh friends got harassed at the local Publix by our place after 9/11, and I'm screaming at these offenders "These guys aren't even Muslims!!!" (not that it makes it better, but you get the idea).+pissed+