Should I call it quits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorAJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im really bummed out right now, just got my October PCAT scores, got a composite of 51 % :( ....I am really depressed right now, I just want your guys thoughts, realistically, of my chances at this point in general...have a 3.4 overall GPA, 3.1 science GPA...I feel like complete garbage right now...plz post ur opinions...

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorAJ said:
Im really bummed out right now, just got my October PCAT scores, got a composite of 51 % :( ....I am really depressed right now, I just want your guys thoughts, realistically, of my chances at this point in general...have a 3.4 overall GPA, 3.1 science GPA...I feel like complete garbage right now...plz post ur opinions...

I know how you feel my scores were not what I expected, either. I'm still in a state of shock :( Dry your tears and start planning your next strategy. If being a pharmacist is what you really want to do, no one can can take it away from you! Start preparing for the Jan. Pcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorAJ said:

Just wanted to write with piece of encouragement. When I took the PCAT in June 2005, I studied really hard using all the resources recommended by the folks in the forum. But, I was REALLY bummed by the results, because I really thought I prepared well..

Finally, I decided to change my approach. I still reviewed all my material, but focused more on doing practice tests under timed conditions to simulate the actual PCAT. Even though, I didn't necessarily do stellar on practice tests, it really trained me to work fast under pressure.

Due to the change in studying tactics, I took the October 2005 PCAT, and my composite went up at least 30 points, now I am in the 90+ percentile category.

I am writing this to give you hope.. That I can UNDERSTAND how you feel, and to enourage you that it is possible to improve...

Just my 2 cents :)

DoctorAJ said:

As others have said, retake the PCAT. You also should try to raise your science GPA. I agree with the poster who mentioned taking practice tests in a timed environment. Knowing strategies for timed tests is extremely helpful.

DoctorAJ said:
Hay, lighten up. I’m sure even Albert Einstein felt like a looser in some point of his life. If you really want to become a pharmacist then fight for it. This kind of defeated mentality doesn’t get you anywhere. If you think PCAT is a mountain, wait and see what the four years of pharmacy school holds for you. I didn’t say that to scary you.
If you want to improve your chance of getting accepted, here is my advice
 Take pact prep class. It is very helpful. Not just take the class you have to study and do the test repeatedly.
 Don’t buy, but borrow PCAT Kaplan book from the library and do the questions.
 Spend more time on studying chemistry and any other subject you are good at. Even if you think you are good in biology, think again. It is a very broad subject.
 Take more class (easy A classes) so that your GPA goes up.
 If you have time to volunteer, do so.
For the mean time, apply to the schools that don’t require pcat. Incase if doesn’t work out, have a plan B. Let me know how things turn out. Good luck.

This advice comes from a person who is still waiting for the PCAT score dreadfully.

I just took the PCAT for the first time in October. I did pretty well and so I was going to share what I did, maybe it will help.

I if time was a factor for you try this....

Go through and do all the problems that you can do really fast, skipping even those that you know you can do but take a little working out. Then go through and do the longer ones. Finally, go through and make educated guesses on the ones you may have an idea about and then go through and just guess on the last few.

eric.noland said:
I just took the PCAT for the first time in October. I did pretty well and so I was going to share what I did, maybe it will help.

I if time was a factor for you try this....

Go through and do all the problems that you can do really fast, skipping even those that you know you can do but take a little working out. Then go through and do the longer ones. Finally, go through and make educated guesses on the ones you may have an idea about and then go through and just guess on the last few.

This is an excellent strategy, especially for the Quant and Chem sections. I may try it if I decide to retake the PCAT in January. I found that I spent too much time in these sections during the October PCAT.

starsweet said:
This is an excellent strategy, especially for the Quant and Chem sections. I may try it if I decide to retake the PCAT in January. I found that I spent too much time in these sections during the October PCAT.

I didn't know there was quantum mechanics in the chem section!

You're already getting a lot of feedback on the PCAT so I'm going to comment on the GPA issue. There are schools that are not Pharmas that only look at their required pre-requisite grades AND completely replace a grade if you retake it and get it better. University of Arizona does this. Someone could literally go from a 3.1 to a 4.0 if, hypothetically, you had all A's and 3 C's, retook the C's and then got A's. They completely disregard the old grade, as opposed to Pharcas where both would be seen. Look into schools like that and retake some classes. A 3.3 GPA isn't death either because I know UofA cuts off interviews at 3.3. While the candidate would have to be strong in other areas, you wouldn't be doomed even as it is.