Should I retake PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ting Ting

Reaction score
My score:
BIO: 73
CHM: 66
QUANT: 72
READING: 21
Composite: 58

I'm applying for Wayne State University which has a preferred minimum score requirement for CHM,BIO,QUANT of 50 and 25 for reading. Should I retake the PCAT due to my reading score lowering my composite. I am also applying for early decision, which may help me higher my chances of getting in and live instate. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Members don't see this ad.

If you retake your PCAT you cannot apply early decision because the next testing window (September) will not be accepted for Wayne's early decision. Those don't seem to be too bad of scores and your GPA sand everything could still make a difference. Make an appointment with a counselor at Wayne and see what they think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your PCAT is on the low side.

That said, cast a wide net to other institutes and depending if you have a minimal threshold gpa you’ll pick up an interview or two
What is your pre-requisite GPA? A strong GPA can make up for a weak PCAT score

My pre-req GPA is a 3.62. Do you think I have a chance of getting into Wayne State If I apply with the score and GPA that I have?

Last edited:
My pre-req GPA is a 3.62. Do you think I have a chance of getting into Wayne State If I apply with the score and GPA that I have?
If you calculated it correctly, you are slightly above average with that GPA. Your PCAT score will hurt you, but if you retake it, and score well, you should be accepted regular decision.

What's misleading? There are schools everywhere so you don't have to go very far. Plenty of them have very low standards. Good luck finding a job. Every position has hundreds of people applying because there are no jobs now. Good luck four or five years from now. And the idea of being able to get a job if you move is outdated. Even the most rural places are saturated now

Reactions: 1 user
PCAT scores are heavily correlated with the NAPLEX. If you got a 58 on your PCAT, that is indicative that you would fail your NAPLEX given that you study the same amount in pharmacy school as you did for your PCATs. 70 would be the bare minimum score to consider going to pharmacy school with. That said, are you sure you want to apply to pharmacy school? I would look at the PCAT as a general aptitude test or a barometer of how well you would do in pharmacy school. Competition is rough for jobs if you can’t pass the NAPLEX on your first try—do you think you can pass the NAPLEX on your first try? Admissions to pharmacy school with a low PCAT score is almost a set up for failure. Make sure you know pharmacy is your passion before you are $150,000-$250,000 in debt! One more tip: Make sure you only choose a pharmacy school with a low attrition rate and a very high >98% NAPLEX pass rate. That’s how you know a school is doing their job preparing their students to pass the NAPLEX and become pharmacists and not just leaving you bereft of knowledge and full of student loan debt. Good luck with whatever you decide! I hope you find your way to your dreams!

Reactions: 1 user
First ask the school before you decide to apply, some schools might have a hard cutoff and others might be more flexible. Figure out which one is Wayne State. Once you have your answer you have 2 options.
Option 1:
Apply anyway and see what happens
Option 2:
Delay the application and retake the PCAT in september or october.

GPA is competitive for early decision, although the PCAT score isn't. Considering you are in MI state, have you though about applying to Ferris State? Wayne state early decision is competitive, although I would recommend you to speak to the counselor and see if its worth it for you to apply.

If you are willing to move out of state, schools in Chicago land area should be on your radar. If you are willing to retake PCAT it might increase your chance even at Wayne state considering that you put in time to work on your weakness and improve your scores.

Real question for you should be is Pharmacy really worth going into right now? Saturation is really high, retail chains closing stores, residency is getting super competitive.

My score:
BIO: 73
CHM: 66
QUANT: 72
READING: 21
Composite: 58

I'm applying for Wayne State University which has a preferred minimum score requirement for CHM,BIO,QUANT of 50 and 25 for reading. Should I retake the PCAT due to my reading score lowering my composite. I am also applying for early decision, which may help me higher my chances of getting in and live instate. (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would suggest for you to apply and if you don't get accepted, email the school's advisor and ask how to improve your application, then apply for regular admission. Good Luck!

I would suggest for you to apply and if you don't get accepted, email the school's advisor and ask how to improve your application, then apply for regular admission. Good Luck!

I don{t think you can do that in the same cycle, you would have to reapply for next cycle.

Yes, you can still apply for other schools in the same cycle, but not the same school you applied to for the early decision.

Exactly, so the applicant would have to wait until next year to get into Wayne State if thats the only school they want to be in.