Should I cancel GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My question is a personal one about whether or not to take GRE without as much prep as I would have liked, given a recent loss in the family. I have the subject test and the general GRE scheduled within the next month, and I did not have as much chance as I would like for studying. I would say I was able to make about 30% of my desired effort.

In some ways I am prepared to apply for this round, and may regret not taking the GREs, because it would definitely exclude me from submitting applications for Fall 2018. At the same time, I am not at all clear about the potential down sides of taking the tests, and getting scores that are lower than I am likely capable of. Would those scores impact future rounds of applications, even if hypothetically I would plan to re-take it if needed?

PS: To be clear, this loss is significant yes, but I am able to function, and not simply on auto pilot. Some friends and family are still encouraging me to move forward with applications, and I do see the positive angle to that.

Edit: I realize I can get answers at ETS website, but I also thought it would be helpful for SDN-ers to weigh in on other considerations, as this forum is often helpful in that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not taking the GRE will mean a 100% chance of not being able to apply this cycle. What are the chances of scoring so poorly that you wouldn't apply at all? You still have weeks between you and the test. I would buckle down and take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. If cost isn't an issue, I'd suggest that you cram, take it as scheduled, and take it again if needed for next year's round of applications.

Ultimately, you should consider which possible scenario you would regret more: NOT attempting the GRE this year at all and waiting another year, or trying and not doing well this round and waiting another year to apply to programs. Therein lies your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you post a thread about the GRE a while back and were told that it's probably not a good idea to delay the tests, especially if you have to take both the general and subject tests, because life happens and you can't predict how it will affect your testing?

Didn't you post a thread about the GRE a while back and were told that it's probably not a good idea to delay the tests, especially if you have to take both the general and subject tests, because life happens and you can't predict how it will affect your testing?

Something akin to a reprimand is a little off base. I never assume that I know someone else's personal circumstances.