Should I choose Incomplete Grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoking77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation,
All my final exams are over, but I still have 1 test remaining for philosophy class (class consisting of 9 mc tests, with no final exam). Just recently, I have torn my meniscus and too add to that I also have an existing genetic condition called osteochondromatosis. It is excruciatingly painful for me to walk, let alone physically travel to my university 1 hour away from my home.

I have expressed my concern to my professor, to see if anything can be done for me. He told me to contact the academic advisor, and ask for an incomplete in the course. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, and the last day for the last test is this Wednesday, and assuming I will not have the energy to take the test, I will end up with a 78% in the course.

Should I take the Incomplete grade? Will this count as an F for medical schools? My other courses Chem, Math, and Physics are all well in the high 80's or low 90's. I am in my first year.

Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, here's my situation,
All my final exams are over, but I still have 1 test remaining for philosophy class (class consisting of 9 mc tests, with no final exam). Just recently, I have torn my meniscus and too add to that I also have an existing genetic condition called osteochondromatosis. It is excruciatingly painful for me to walk, let alone physically travel to my university 1 hour away from my home.

I have expressed my concern to my professor, to see if anything can be done for me. He told me to contact the academic advisor, and ask for an incomplete in the course. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, and the last day for the last test is this Wednesday, and assuming I will not have the energy to take the test, I will end up with a 78% in the course.

Should I take the Incomplete grade? Will this count as an F for medical schools? My other courses Chem, Math, and Physics are all well in the high 80's or low 90's. I am in my first year.

Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks

The professor won't allow you to take the test earlier or later? Well, I'd say that your professor is probably not keeping with school policy. If you have a valid medical excuse most schools require that you be allowed to make up the work. The professor forcing you into an 'incomplete' seems unfair in my opinion, and your school's administration will probably agree with you. If that fails, I'd say that if you have the energy to get to the exam room and just write down garbage for however long, you should do it since you'll probably be able to get a 'B' in the course then (assuming B is an 80). I know that option will probably suck, and its not something that you should have to do if the world was fair, but it might be a small price to pay for the B.

With an incomplete, I believe that you have to take the final the next semester. Then, the I is replaced by whatever grade you earn (with the final and the semester course work)

Members don't see this ad :)
The professor won't allow you to take the test earlier or later? Well, I'd say that your professor is probably not keeping with school policy. If you have a valid medical excuse most schools require that you be allowed to make up the work. The professor forcing you into an 'incomplete' seems unfair in my opinion, and your school's administration will probably agree with you. If that fails, I'd say that if you have the energy to get to the exam room and just write down garbage for however long, you should do it since you'll probably be able to get a 'B' in the course then (assuming B is an 80). I know that option will probably suck, and its not something that you should have to do if the world was fair, but it might be a small price to pay for the B.

Well, I have torn my meniscus just two days ago, ...on a Friday. I e-mailed the prof immediately but I got his reply just today. I guess I'm just really unlucky...
Will an Incomplete grade, with a legitimate medical reason, hurt me that bad? Bad enough to suck it up and just write it fresh out of post-op?

Well, I have torn my meniscus just two days ago, ...on a Friday. I e-mailed the prof immediately but I got his reply just today. I guess I'm just really unlucky...
Will an Incomplete grade, with a legitimate medical reason, hurt me that bad? Bad enough to suck it up and just write it fresh out of post-op?
See the above post from Mary Sue. I'd say that you really need to make a call to your registrar's office and find out exactly how your institution deals with an Incomplete. If you are allowed to retake the 9th test next semester and the I will be completely replaced after you do that, then that would be the best option I think.

Thanks for your help. I'll call them first thing in the morning, hopefully I can sort this out.

Are you sure an incomplete is permanent? When I was freshman, I got sick right before a final and I asked the professor if I could take it at a later date. She said sure, but not until after winter break. So, for a few months, I had an incomplete on my transcript. But after I made up the final, the incomplete was replaced by an ‘A.’ Is this the kind of situation you’ll be in? If so, take the incomplete.

I got an Incomplete in a research class this semester, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control. The incomplete is dropped after I get all my data and write up my paper though, so can you take the final next semester and get the incomplete dropped?