Should I Claim Disadvantaged Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I mark disadvantaged?

• Total voters

S.T.D MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at the 2016 AMCAS application and I can't decide whether or not to designate myself as a disadvantaged applicant. The application lists Underserved, Family, and state and federal assistance programs as guiding factors. I'll list some of the reasons I might be disadvantaged (Primarily familial, some economic issues)

Family:
  • My parents divorced when I was in 2nd grade, my mother took primary custody but attempted suicide shortly after. I spent the remainder of my childhood growing up under my dad's roof.
  • My mother succeeded in committing suicide when I was 14.
  • My dad and my older brother constantly fought, nearly infinite verbal confrontations, a few physical ones.
  • Dad was borderline alcoholic, had DUI and lost license at one point.
  • Brother suffers from depression, he failed out of college his first semester, spent a few years of his life at home doing nothing. He's now being treated and doing much better.
Economic:
  • Dad was unemployed for a few years and collected unemployment
  • I have received Pell grants in college
  • Would estimate my father's income to be an average of 35,000 per year growing up, for a family of 3
Essentially I believe that family issues contributed to my exceptionally poor high school performance, which consequently delayed achievement in college. Our economic situation wasn't fantastic either, which certainly didn't help things (though this is not my chief complaint.)

Anyways, let me know if you think I should mark disadvantaged on AMCAS. Input from adcoms would be especially appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you could call yourself disadvantaged. You have dealt with some pretty rough stuff in your life including what sounds like abuse and extreme financial hardship, so you definitely have merit in your claim.