should i compare my bcpm to a school's overall gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freetree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
people have been telling me that your sci gpa is more important. does this mean that if my overall gpa is lower than my science, i should use my bcpm to judge how competitive i am as a candidate at a given school? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, because it's the only factor that really matters when applying to med school.

ummm. they def look at both gpas. i think that science is a bit more important...juding from some secondaries and how they only ask about your sci grades. do you mind sharing your gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
my non science is 3.35 and my science is roughly 3.7. im only a freshman, so i know i have time to pull my non-science up---do you think i still have a chance at any of the top schools even though i got a couple of C's in humanities classes my frosh year? one of them was due to missed absences in a dance class because of illness and the other one was in an insanely hard music class taught by a crazy prof who barely spoke/understood english---about half the class dropped out (i wasn't one of the smarter ones...) im planning to work my ass off the next 3 years, i just hope this year didnt hurt me too much..

stoic said:
Yes, because it's the only factor that really matters when applying to med school.
not always true

Freetree, if you're only a freshman then you still have a lot of time to pull up your non-science GPA. By the time you apply in two years, both of your GPAs could be around 3.7, or even higher! Just keep on working hard and try to do well in all your classes. You know what you're shooting for to be competitive, so at this point I'd pick which schools you are most attracted to and then work hard towards getting your GPA around their averages!

Good luck! :thumbup: :luck: