Should I consider putting this in an update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbitybob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am under active consideration at a school after interviewing so I was hoping to send an update letter. All I have to update them with is second author abstract presented at an international conference and also published in their journal. Should I add a department grand rounds presentation I am scheduled to do in March for a previous first author publication i already updated the school with in the update letter as well?

Members don't see this ad.

What I would do is mention the abstract, since it is already presented and significant, and then include a mini-"letter of interest" describing why you would be a good fit.

Then I would wait for the decision which would hopefully arrive by March. Maybe after the decision is made, if it is a WL, I would submit the grand rounds presentation as another update with more about your interests in the program.

Reactions: 1 user
I am under active consideration at a school after interviewing so I was hoping to send an update letter. All I have to update them with is second author abstract presented at an international conference and also published in their journal. Should I add a department grand rounds presentation I am scheduled to do in March for a previous first author publication i already updated the school with in the update letter as well?
Letters of interest are best saved for after the decision is made. Rarely will an adcom be on the brink of waitlist/acceptance and rely on such information.

Get more bang for your buck after the decision comes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Letters of interest are best saved for after the decision is made. Rarely will an adcom be on the brink of waitlist/acceptance and rely on such information.

Get more bang for your buck after the decision comes.

What meaningful bang for the buck would he expect then? He's already been admitted...

What meaningful bang for the buck would he expect then? He's already been admitted...

I'm confused what "Active consideration" means in OP's first post. I assumed that meant he/she has interviewed and is awaiting a decision.

I was told on SDN to save letters until a decision has been reached, but if OP is admitted then why send the update at all? Scholarship $? If so, I have no idea how that's done, but would like to know, I'm in debt lol

This is what the school sent me:
Since your visit to campus, the Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and at this time has not made a final decision. This means that your application remains under active consideration.

Your application will continue to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. As the rolling admissions process continues, you will be notified as soon as possible when the Committee makes a decision to either offer you admission; select you for the Waitlist; or has determined that you will not be offered a place in the entering class.

This is what the school sent me:
Since your visit to campus, the Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and at this time has not made a final decision. This means that your application remains under active consideration.

Your application will continue to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. As the rolling admissions process continues, you will be notified as soon as possible when the Committee makes a decision to either offer you admission; select you for the Waitlist; or has determined that you will not be offered a place in the entering class.
Wowzers. Kind of annoying and odd the dam school can't let you know your status. In this situation, I have absolutely no idea what the right decision is. Thank you for clarifying your situation. I incorrectly assumed you interviewed, haven't heard back, and were hoping an update letter would steer the adcom in the acceptance direction. In that hypothetical, a letter has almost zero utility, and hence I said to wait until you find out your status and then get the most bang for your buck, because once you send in an update, you can't really re-send that, so save it for post-decision.

Ask adcoms and your pre-med advising wht to do, good luck OP.

Hey OP, I know what school this is because I got the same email! There's a general consensus that it's not bad news and probably means they haven't even read your app yet (they appear to be pretty backlogged since the holiday break). Someone said they received this email and then got accepted 2 hours later, because it goes out automatically after a certain amount of time has passed since your interview. So don't give up hope! I would wait on the LOI until you're waitlisted (that's my plan, anyway :) )

Reactions: 1 user