Last cycle I applied with a 513 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, standard ECs, and four years work experience as a software engineer. Several MD schools interviewed then waitlisted me.
Fortunately some DO schools accepted me, and I planned to attend one across the country. My goal is IM/FM/EM and I would be happy to go DO. However four months ago I began a relationship and now I am reluctant to move far away from this person.
Thoughts on deferring / reapplying for the current cycle?
Reasons for doing so
- Stay in my current city and let this relationship develop. Next year, either we can move together or I can hopefully attend a local school.
- Fix deficits in my application and get an MD acceptance. I applied late September, with a missing prereq, and just barely 100 hours clinical experience.
It's likely that you may never get another II if you dump an acceptance. Many schools ask if you have ever been accepted.
If you defer, how will things be different in a year? It's actually hard to get a deferral; usually they're for emergencies. This isn't an emergency.
Also, schools that let you defer will often have you sign a contract that you will not use the intervening time to apply elsewhere.