Should I do a Post-Bacc? 516 MCAT, 3.4 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gardenofjew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should apply to medical school for the 2017 year now, or plan on a SMP program first?

Summary Stats:
3.4 GPA, 516 MCAT, Hispanic, White

Detailed Stats:

a. 3.4 GPA with 3.4 sGPA. No good excuse for this--- I've had semesters of hard science classes with A's, and semesters where I got a C in my science class, and it came down to me not knowing what I wanted to do with my life and being unmotivated as a result.

b. 516 MCAT with a moderate amount of studying (~3 weeks intensely). I think I could improve it significantly on a second administration, but I'm not sure that should take precedence over some sort of GPA remediation.

c. Will have a couple of stellar Letters of Evaluation, a couple of good ones. My best letters will be from an advisor in an organization I ran, and another from a professor I did humanities research under for 2 years. I'll have a couple of good ones from science professors in whose classes I did well and always asked questions, spoke with after class, etc.

d. Hispanic, White

e. Moderate amount of Volunteering in variety of contexts: 3 service trips, time-consuming (3 months of meeting 3 times a week before the trip, plus a week long service trip) leadership roles in one of those trips.

f. Moderate amount of Leadership: Chair of E-board for one college organization, on the e-board of another, participated in both organizations for 3 years. The one I was the leader of dealt with college mental health and outreach and education on that topic, the latter was an informal debate society that held discussions on important topics.

g. Science research: Helped in a professor's lab for 8 months, but I quit when got buried under Orgo 2 and other classes and responsibilities.

h. I've done ~50 hours of shadowing.

My questions are these:

1. Should I apply this cycle (2017) to schools that fit these stats? Those would be lower tier MD and some DO schools, correct?

2. Should I do a SMP program to compensate for that GPA? There are a few I'm looking into that still have open applications-- Barry University is one of them, Eastern Virginaa University is a another.

3. Should I do an informal post-bacc course at a local state university? Basically just take a bunch of high-level science classes and get A's and show that I can perform at that level?

Thanks for any and all advice :)

Members don't see this ad.