Should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I do an SMP

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Galago

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I usually am a reader not a poster but I could use some advice from some of you guys. I recently was accepted into Georgetown's SMP and I am very grateful, but I am now wondering if it is really worth doing. I applied because my stats were borderline to poor in terms of GPA and I thought it would be a very good boost for me and a good backup to add my app if I failed to get into medical school this cycle, and at the very least would better prepare me for M1. The biggest problems stem from its tuition cost (>50,000) and the location cost, not to mention the struggle of moving and finding a good place. I am a first time applicant from NYU majoring in neuroscience, with a 3.1 GPA and a 509 MCAT, I have good research experience and poster presentations (but no major publications) at the Seaver Center for Autism at Mount Sinai and NYU Langone, good shadowing experience, and extracurriculars that involve hundreds of hours of teaching and volunteering, but it still may not be enough. I am a black male which I know is valued as a URM for diversity, but not sure if even the HBCUs would accept my GPA. If I could get accepted to just one medical school as is, and I applied to a total of 25 including MD and DO programs, the SMP would lose its value. Any and all thoughts are welcome and good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.