Should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFC30

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So here's my situation. I'm currently a second-semester senior enrolled at a top 30 undergrad institution. cGPA: 3.40 and sGPA: 3.15, with an upward trend, MCAT:504. I'm considering an SMP to increase my GPA and hopefully, the course material will help with my MCAT score as well. I've read a lot of the threads on here about SMPs and I understand why it's a high-risk high reward situation, so I was wondering what others felt. My pre-med advisor warned me of the same thing so I suppose I'm just looking for more opinions based on my scores.

I'm considering DOs as well but I didn't take biochem because it wasn't a requirement at my school's premed track, and many DO schools require it on top of ochem I and II. I'm wondering if I should just take a course during my gap year for that.

I've been fortunate enough that I'll be able to graduate from my undergrad without any debt, but I'll definitely have to take out loans for the grad program. Not only that but I recognize the degree has little to no value if the GPA is low. Furthermore, I'm enticed by the SMP because I lack clinical experience. I decided to row for four years as my extracurricular instead of being in a hospital/other services, but looking back I'm not sure how valuable that is to medical schools (oh well).

I was wondering what you guys think I should do. Any tips help!

Members don't see this ad.

if you need to knock out a prereq and you’re worried about loans you can always do a DIY post bacc. Schools that reward reinvention often recommend taking 20-30 credit hours. Finish your prereq(check your schools to see if they accept online or in person), do some upper level science classes, and find the intestinal fortitude to do well in these classes. A DIY post bacc will have the same desired effect a SMP will have but may save your wallet (my 45 credit hours cost me 14k instead of 30k+).
Clinical experience can be easily remedied yourself. Google, phone calls, walking in and talking to someone can do wonders.

it really doesn’t seem to matter if you go SMP or the DIY route, what truly matters more than anything is how well you do in your classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're GPA is fine for most DO's, but with good grades in a few post-bacc courses you can raise that sGPA. If you feel up to it, trying retaking your MCAT to be more competitive (shooting for 512+ as schools may average your MCAT scores).

SMPs are really expensive, speaking from experience. I would commit to a whole application cycle (applying EARLY and having peer-edited secondaries and a great DO letter) before applying for an SMP. If your cycle is not looking great, then many SMPs have long app cycles (October-June) and you can apply towards the end of your cycle. There are many SMPs out there. Why waste a year or two in an SMP when you may end up not needing it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering an SMP to increase my GPA and hopefully, the course material will help with my MCAT score as well
A SMP won't increase your undergraduate GPA. It will be viewed separately.

Reactions: 1 user
A SMP won't increase your undergraduate GPA. It will be viewed separately.
Yea, I suppose I didn't articulate well enough. I meant that my SMP GPA would hopefully supplement my uGPA.

I think you're GPA is fine for most DO's, but with good grades in a few post-bacc courses you can raise that sGPA. If you feel up to it, trying retaking your MCAT to be more competitive (shooting for 512+ as schools may average your MCAT scores).

SMPs are really expensive, speaking from experience. I would commit to a whole application cycle (applying EARLY and having peer-edited secondaries and a great DO letter) before applying for an SMP. If your cycle is not looking great, then many SMPs have long app cycles (October-June) and you can apply towards the end of your cycle. There are many SMPs out there. Why waste a year or two in an SMP when you may end up not needing it?
I didn't know that some schools average your MCAT score. Is that common? I know that they have access to all your previous scores but I didn't know that averaging was a common practice. That being said, I plan on retaking the MCAT again. While I am ok with going DO, I still want to aim for an MD school, for residency placements.

I didn't know that some schools average your MCAT score. Is that common? I know that they have access to all your previous scores but I didn't know that averaging was a common practice. That being said, I plan on retaking the MCAT again. While I am ok with going DO, I still want to aim for an MD school, for residency placements.
Some schools average MCATs, which is one of the reasons it's recommended to not take it until you're absolutely ready. Apply broadly MD. Be aware that some med schools have special interest missions and some have preference for in-state students, so make sure you check on MSAR for each school you're applying to. With your GPA it is imperative you APPLY EARLY. I stand by what I said of giving it an app cycle and applying for an SMP at the tail end of it if you're having a bad cycle (AND had applied early and made sure your T's were crossed and i's dotted on your secondaries).

Hey guys,

So here's my situation. I'm currently a second-semester senior enrolled at a top 30 undergrad institution. cGPA: 3.40 and sGPA: 3.15, with an upward trend, MCAT:504. I'm considering an SMP to increase my GPA and hopefully, the course material will help with my MCAT score as well. I've read a lot of the threads on here about SMPs and I understand why it's a high-risk high reward situation, so I was wondering what others felt. My pre-med advisor warned me of the same thing so I suppose I'm just looking for more opinions based on my scores.

I'm considering DOs as well but I didn't take biochem because it wasn't a requirement at my school's premed track, and many DO schools require it on top of ochem I and II. I'm wondering if I should just take a course during my gap year for that.

I've been fortunate enough that I'll be able to graduate from my undergrad without any debt, but I'll definitely have to take out loans for the grad program. Not only that but I recognize the degree has little to no value if the GPA is low. Furthermore, I'm enticed by the SMP because I lack clinical experience. I decided to row for four years as my extracurricular instead of being in a hospital/other services, but looking back I'm not sure how valuable that is to medical schools (oh well).

I was wondering what you guys think I should do. Any tips help!
What are you were year-by-year gpas?

A special master's program will not give you clinical experience. In fact I suggest that you get that clinical experience before entering the program, to make sure you really want to do this.

What are you were year-by-year gpas?

A special master's program will not give you clinical experience. In fact I suggest that you get that clinical experience before entering the program, to make sure you really want to do this.
Freshman: 3.17
Sophomore: 3.25
Junior: 3.69
Senior (Fall): 3.93

I think doing an SMP would be something to think long and hard about before starting. Your GPA is okay for some DO schools. I would honestly shoot your shot. Cast a wide net and apply to as many schools as you can afford that have accepted students with your stats and even some schools that haven't.

I applied to 50 schools because I had a lower GPA than you (I also took 6 years to complete my bachelors because I was establishing an upward trend that began my fourth year and lasted two years but they only considered it my senior year due to the amount of credits I had accumulated) and was told by many of them (MD included) that if my upward trend had been over the course of my undergrad that they would have given me more consideration.

Personally I would start by looking at your school list and determining which schools will require biochem. If a majority will, than take it. I don't see you gaining any luck with MD with the MCAT you have either though.

Some things to ask yourself:
- Is it worth taking out a loan for an SMP (which is still not a guarantee that you will do well or even get into an MD school)?
- Is it worth taking the extra time to do Biochem and the SMP (dependning on start dates for both you may be looking at 2+ years before you apply to medical school or 3+ before you start)?
- Can you without a doubt increase your MCAT score to a 510 range?