Should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyytrewq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never even considered an SMP until recently, my cGPA is lower 3.34, my sGPA is alrght 3.53, MCAT is 36 (11v,12b,13p). I was a liberal arts major and did a post bac taking all the prereq courses and got a 3.87. I know I can handle the work but worried that the low cGPA is gonna hold me back. Would an SMP be a good idea for me? or should i continue to take classes to raise the cGPA (my worry is at this point, i have so many hours and units that the GPA wont go up that much, especially quarter units). I also can basically only take night school becuase of other commitments. (for an SMP id have to quit my job, take out loans etc. etc.)

That said, I here on here that taking an SMP and doing well gaurantees your acceptance. That would be a major draw.

Also I have applied this cycle, sent in most of my secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I never even considered an SMP until recently, my cGPA is lower 3.34, my sGPA is alrght 3.53, MCAT is 36 (11v,12b,13p). I was a liberal arts major and did a post bac taking all the prereq courses and got a 3.87. I know I can handle the work but worried that the low cGPA is gonna hold me back. Would an SMP be a good idea for me? or should i continue to take classes to raise the cGPA (my worry is at this point, i have so many hours and units that the GPA wont go up that much, especially quarter units). I also can basically only take night school becuase of other commitments. (for an SMP id have to quit my job, take out loans etc. etc.)

That said, I here on here that taking an SMP and doing well gaurantees your acceptance. That would be a major draw.

Also I have applied this cycle, sent in most of my secondaries.

Honestly I wouldn't do it. I would continue taking classes. Even if another year of 3.8+ doesn't raise your GPA it will still show a strong trend of performance. Your MCAT is fantastic and qualifies for any school in the nation.

You have a LizzyM score of 71. You might have to search around here to find out what that means (and also find the school selector spreadsheet :)), but you're in okay to good shape for all but the top 20-25 or so schools. I recommend staying with the 'taking night classes' option, as needed. Also, it may not take you too many more 'As' to break 3.4/3.6...which looks pretty good sitting next to your MCAT score imo. How are your ECs? Do you have good LORs?

EDIT: I am assuming that you want to go MD. If you're open to DO, you would be a very competitive applicant right now! (As long as you shadow an Osteopathic Physician)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt apply any to any DO. but I kinda wish I did, the only thing is I really know VERY little about D.O. What are the best D.O. schools? Ive never shadowed a DO and wonder about getting into residencies, (good location/surgery) not necessarily both of those, but some combo in between.
Experience
Clinical Volunteering- Started in January, got a LOR from the manager, and its real hands on experience, I basically do medical assistant (take vitals, run tests, patient history) work at a free clinic. Im not a URM but often do this in spanish. Also some physician shadowing, the docs bring me in with them sometimes to let me learn stuff

Research- Clinical Research- Started in April, no letter of rec, The work I do here is pretty boring (literature reviews) but some stuff is cool I learn alot about the administrative hurdles at a research university. Also I get to shadow my doc/ surgeon/radonc and thats pretty cool.

Teaching- Work as a teacher 2 and half years LOR
Leadership-started my own small busines from client LOR
sorry this is long, im just a worried pre-med

You wouldn't need a DO letter, only an answer to "Why DO?" aside from it's a backup. Just research OMM a bit, it's really the only tangible difference.

Western, PCOM, and maybe LECOM come to mind as good DO schools. OSU is the only osteopathic school with an on-campus teaching hospital affiliate, so it's worth looking into.

At this point, it's too late for an SMP this year. I'd apply to AMCAS, if you haven't already, and see what happens. Continue volunteering, taking classes, and improving your app. Next year, I'd start looking into SMP's if you haven't been accepted yet (February-May), so you'll have a contingency plan if you don't get in. I don't think you really need one though. I have a lower MCAT, AO GPA, and the same sci GPA and I was told I didn't necessarily need a "true" SMP (a la Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, etc.)

Western and PCOM don't require a DO letter, but LECOM does. You'll probably need an MD letter though.

You wouldn't need a DO letter, only an answer to "Why DO?" aside from it's a backup. Just research OMM a bit, it's really the only tangible difference.

Western, PCOM, and maybe LECOM come to mind as good DO schools. OSU is the only osteopathic school with an on-campus teaching hospital affiliate, so it's worth looking into.

At this point, it's too late for an SMP this year. I'd apply to AMCAS, if you haven't already, and see what happens. Continue volunteering, taking classes, and improving your app. Next year, I'd start looking into SMP's if you haven't been accepted yet (February-May), so you'll have a contingency plan if you don't get in. I don't think you really need one though. I have a lower MCAT, AO GPA, and the same sci GPA and I was told I didn't necessarily need a "true" SMP (a la Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, etc.)

TCOM is also a good DO school. I remember the secondary having a why DO type question.

TCOM is also a good DO school. I remember the secondary having a why DO type question.

TCOM also has 90% IS students (like all Texas schools), if I'm not mistaken. Unless you have ties to the state or are a TX resident, it's a bit of a long shot.