When should I consider an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goopiegoop

Reaction score
I am currently in my senior year right now, and my lack of success in the application is worrisome. Under what circumstances should I consider an SMP? I like the idea of having a guaranteed interview after completion of the SMP but there is the possibility I perform just average in the program and it ends up hurting my application. With that being said, would it be better to go the SMP route or go straight to applying a second time?

For reference, my cGPA through junior year is 3.3x and sGPA is 3.2x with a good upward trend (2.7 to 3.4 to 3.6) with a 510+ on the MCAT. Solid research, solid clinical hours, solid volunteering but could use more.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA: 2.91, 3.53, 3.39
sGPA: 2.65, 3.39, 3.61
(both from freshman to junior year)
Not really a strong rise. Ideally, it should look like a Nike swoosh.

If you ace your SR year, then you might be OK for some MD schools, especially your state school(s).. You're fine for DO and will have to have them on your eventual school list.

Not really a strong rise. Ideally, it should look like a Nike swoosh.

If you ace your SR year, then you might be OK for some MD schools, especially your state school(s).. You're fine for DO and will have to have them on your eventual school list.
Do you think I should still consider an SMP? I still haven't heard from my top choice school, and have strong ties to their hospital. They have an SMP program which I have been considering if I fail to get in this cycle.

Do you think I should still consider an SMP? I still haven't heard from my top choice school, and have strong ties to their hospital. They have an SMP program which I have been considering if I fail to get in this cycle.
It really depends upon your SR year performance.

Reactions: 1 user