Should I drop an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeproots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm incredibly grateful to say that I received an acceptance offer to a school I really liked last week (let's call it School A). On the same day, I received an interview offer from another school (School B). I have a LizzyM of 69. I applied to 7 schools and received interviews (including the one pending) to 6 of them. I really liked 3 out of the 5 schools at which I've already interviewed (including School A), and I'm having a hard time comparing them as is.

Schools A and B are pretty similarly ranked and cost about the same. Each has pros and cons, but I'm a little concerned about School B because the interview won't occur on the campus at which I'd spend my first 2 (and maybe all 4) years, so I won't be able to even get a feel for the school.

Also, with my interview traveling, I've had to rearrange a lot of stuff at work (which adds to the stress considerably because I have to make up the missed hours), and honestly, I'm really tired of the traveling. I'll also be doing some traveling for personal reasons in November (around the same time the interview is scheduled), which adds to the travel exhaustion and stress.

What do y'all think? Should I just suck it up and go to the interview, just in case there's something there that calls to me? Or, should I save the time, money, and stress by declining the offer? I feel bad declining the offer because I'm so incredibly grateful to even be considered for an interview and because I don't want to regret it later, but I'm not sure what's the best choice here.

Thank y'all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How happy are you at the school you were accepted at? How much did you get sold during the interview day vs. what you knew about the school before you traveled there?

Are there any special programs or faculty that would push you toward attending one school over the other? Which city do you like better?

I'm in the same situation as you and these are the factors I'm considering.

How happy are you at the school you were accepted at? How much did you get sold during the interview day vs. what you knew about the school before you traveled there?

Are there any special programs or faculty that would push you toward attending one school over the other? Which city do you like better?

I'm in the same situation as you and these are the factors I'm considering.
Thanks, Osteoth! I honestly didn't think too much of the school before I interviewed there, but I really fell in love with it throughout the day. I liked the city of School A (7 out of 10), but don't know much about the city of School B (and I won't even be interviewing there). I can really see myself being happy at School A, but I could feel that way at School B (which I probably wouldn't even be able to determine by the interview). Man, I never thought that I would even have this problem :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Osteoth! I honestly didn't think too much of the school before I interviewed there, but I really fell in love with it throughout the day. I liked the city of School A (7 out of 10), but don't know much about the city of School B (and I won't even be interviewing there). I can really see myself being happy at School A, but I could feel that way at School B (which I probably wouldn't even be able to determine by the interview). Man, I never thought that I would even have this problem :/

Lol its a good problem to have.

Based on what you're saying I would go. It seems like you are very much on the fence about whether your first school is the best fit or if the second school, both the city and the school, could be a good place for you.

For me, things like weather (I'm from CA), proximity to family (eastern seaboard vs. midwest), and programs (joint program, mentors, location of the actual school), are making me lean toward not going to my other interviews, but these are very personal and highly variable.

Lol its a good problem to have.

Based on what you're saying I would go. It seems like you are very much on the fence about whether your first school is the best fit or if the second school, both the city and the school, could be a good place for you.

For me, things like weather (I'm from CA), proximity to family (eastern seaboard vs. midwest), and programs (joint program, mentors, location of the actual school), are making me lean toward not going to my other interviews, but these are very personal and highly variable.
Yes, I'll probably end up going. The worst that could happen is that I don't think the school is a good fit, but at least I will know. Thanks for the advice!

Go! You never know which will give you more financial aid.