Should i drop my second major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenom832

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an exercise science major in which I picked up a double major in athletic training. When i picked up AT major I was under the impression I was good to go and finishing everything but after setting up classes I have to take 18 credits till im graduated and im a junior right now and possible some summer classes. I have looked into going to grad school and my gpa isnt that great like a 2.62 which most want a 3 and I thought about going to chiropractor school as well.. .Financially I am thinking it may not be worth doing the AT major as well and 2. I wanted to retake some classes to raise my gpa which I cant do now. I kinda feel bad cause the AT program let me in with bad gpa and feel like they kinda counting on me.. Also I have a decent job which im gonna have to work and the professor said i cant miss my clinical for AT for work and with my class schedule I can only do work the closing shift which are usually the clinicals.. ANY THOUGHTS?

Members don't see this ad.

Write coherently first of all. Don't make more work for yourself. Finish your major and get a minor in business or something unrelated to PT.

New Testament, there is no need to be rude. While I agree with your sentiment about phenom's verbiage, it wouldn't hurt you to use some tact. Come on, we need to be supportive of the people in the forum. :)

Phenom, if I were you I would drop my second major and focus on my core classes. A 3.0 GPA is minimum for many programs, however it is not considered competitive and is unlikely to get you accepted. If you want to make yourself a competitive applicant, it would probably be in your best interest to take fewer credit hours and focus on raising your GPA.

Best of Luck, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

-K

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with NewTestament. Write clearly or your words may be misconstrued. How dedicated are you in attending grad school? Your grades are subpar and you are at a fork in the road. You need to either sacrifice your job and concentrate on school, or work and sacrifice the grades. Keeping the AT course load AND retaking courses may be your best bet at raising your GPA.

Your post makes it sound like you really don't know what your goals are. I also see from your past posts that you've considered med school and firefighting. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not a troll, so here's my advice: 1) improve your writing and communication skills, because you'll need that to succeed no matter what route you take, and 2) shadow some professionals in the careers that you are interested in, such as athletic trainers, PTs, chiropractors, physicians, etc. Once you choose a goal, you will be much more able to figure out how to prioritize and focus your life to achieve it, including putting in the work to get higher grades.

Reactions: 1 user