Should I drop Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketballakev

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am in my last quarter of Physics which covers sound waves, electromagnetic waves, light & optics, modern physics etc. I took my first exam and my chances of getting an A are pretty much very slim. Now, I honestly would continue on to take this class and strive to get a B or whatever but the problem is that I am in dire need of boosting my GPA. I have cGPA of 3.42 and a BCPM GPA of 3.40. If I drop this class, I can take some two other BIO classes for this next summer session and I probably have a good chance of getting an A since I do a lot better in BIO classes. What do you guys think? Should I just drop Physics and take these two other BIO classes? My problem is that if I drop Physics, I will not be able to take it until next summer session because I do not meet the prereqs for that Physics class since it requires Calc 2. Its pretty weird because they don't check prereqs in the summer but in the academic year. But yes any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

if you can drop, i say go for it. even if you have to stick around for another quarter or two, you'll be glad you did it when you get an A.

I wouldn't drop it for a Withdrawal (if it will show up on your transcript) if you can get a B. A few B's will not kill you, and it is foolish to repeatedly drop courses for fear of a B. Consider: How did you do in Phys 1? How much will a B lower your GPA? Will taking the course next summer affect your taking the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
B >>>>>> Withdraw

It depends, will you get a W or an Incomplete?

If yes, then by all means continue taking the class and strive for that B.

Good luck.

Okay so I am in my last quarter of Physics which covers sound waves, electromagnetic waves, light & optics, modern physics etc. I took my first exam and my chances of getting an A are pretty much very slim. Now, I honestly would continue on to take this class and strive to get a B or whatever but the problem is that I am in dire need of boosting my GPA. I have cGPA of 3.42 and a BCPM GPA of 3.40. If I drop this class, I can take some two other BIO classes for this next summer session and I probably have a good chance of getting an A since I do a lot better in BIO classes. What do you guys think? Should I just drop Physics and take these two other BIO classes? My problem is that if I drop Physics, I will not be able to take it until next summer session because I do not meet the prereqs for that Physics class since it requires Calc 2. Its pretty weird because they don't check prereqs in the summer but in the academic year. But yes any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time everyone.

I think you've already answered it for yourself. Continue with your current class in Physics, you'll be fine with a B, and as you mentioned you'd have more problems if you did drop it.

It is also a pain in secondary applications to contantly explain the reasons behind dropping a course. You can increase your GPA with upper division science courses later.