Should I Even Apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullone

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is rough, it's a 3.2 and I have to take a few more prereq's which could get it into the 3.3-3.4 level but that's still below average. My GRE score is my strong suit as I got a 322. I had 3 jobs and worked 60+ hours/week for the last 2.5 years of college while going to school full time so that I could graduate without any debt, unfortunately that resulted in subpar grades. I'm wondering if I honestly have a shot at PT school or I should move on to something else?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is rough, it's a 3.2 and I have to take a few more prereq's which could get it into the 3.3-3.4 level but that's still below average. My GRE score is my strong suit as I got a 322. I had 3 jobs and worked 60+ hours/week for the last 2.5 years of college while going to school full time so that I could graduate without any debt, unfortunately that resulted in subpar grades. I'm wondering if I honestly have a shot at PT school or I should move on to something else?

Yes, you should. Check the GPAs and acceptances sticky. Plenty of us non-traditional students have gotten in based on our other merits. Don't let the numbers discourage you, but don't just apply to schools that are more number-driven.

Sounds like you are on the fence still about PT, so you might want to shadow another field to see if you'd be more passionate about that. Health care is huge and there's plenty of other areas that may peak your interest as much or even more.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
is your cumulative GPA a 3.2 or your Prerequisite GPA a 3.2?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply. In my opinion, a person that has gotten the grades they need while putting themselves through college is admirable. You meet the minimum for almost any school so just make sure you shine in everything else like your essay and experience. Good luck!

You should give it a shot. I was in a similar situation (working full time while going to school so my GPA suffered a bit) and got accepted into school. Practice for interviews and make them your strong suite as well so you can make an impression. Good Luck!

So let me get this straight, your cGPA is 3.2 and you have a 322 GRE score? Have you searched "low GPA" in this forum? There are plenty of people here who got into PT school with less competitive stats than you.

I'm not sure what your pGPA is nor how many observation hours you have, but with those stats you can definitely get into some PT schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically, your GRE is great but your gpa is somewhat subpar (although you meet the minimum for most schools gpa, unfortunately no schools want minimum stats). With that being said, apply to schools that rely heavily on the GRE and less on the GPA and I believe you have a shot. It depends on how bad you want to do this career in case you have to move further away than you originally planned. Good luck

Find a school that you really like and submit an early application. Some schools will accept you as long as you meet their requirements.