Should I even bother applying MD?

Started by fl123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fl123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my AMCAS verified today and my totals are: 2.73 cGPA and 2.53 BCPM GPA
For AACOMAS: 3.2 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA
Just took the MCAT June 20 so I am waiting on those scores.

The reason I ask is because I am an unusual case... My Freshman year GPA was a 0.93 and my senior GPA was a 3.8 so there's an obvious upward trend. I have a degree in athletic training so I have a ton of medical experience. I worked with an orthopedic physician for the past 6 months and got a great LOR from him. Throughout my undergraduate career I also have accumulated over 1000 hours of medical experience. On top of that, I have a ton of community service, was a president of student organization, etc etc.

I was planning on waiting for my MCAT scores to send out the rest of my MD applications but after seeing how poor my GPA is, I feel as if I should not even waste the money and just apply to my DO schools.

Thoughts?
 
If you get the equivalent of 40+ it might be worth applying, though it will have to be a school that doesn't screen GPA.
 
Haha... yeah that was the one circumstance where I was thinking I could pull of MD with that GPA.

Thanks for the response though!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Frankly it's a waste of money with your current GPA. Even with a killer MCAT and a compelling story, you're going to be screened out of essentially everywhere.
 
See.. I'm already 26 years old. Not that I'm too old to start med school but in my mind taking a post grad program will just set me back another year.

Whereas if I go to a DO program I'll be able to start next year. With the rise of DO notoriety, is it really that HUGE of a difference?
 
Thanks for the advice Goro... That sounds like a good idea. I just want to be a cost efficient as possible.