should i even bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cumulative gpa is 2.7 and my science gpa is about the same or little higher. I havent taken the DAT yet but i was hoping that if i could do well on them maybe it could somehow compensate for the low gpa, although i think that my gpa isnt really good enough to be accepted anywhere and i might possibly have to pursue a post baccalaureate or M.S. degree. So i was wondering if i should even bother applying to any dental schools once i do take the DAT? any thoughts or suggestions from anyone would be appreciated :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Notoriousjae said:
My cumulative gpa is 2.7 and my science gpa is about the same or little higher. I havent taken the DAT yet but i was hoping that if i could do well on them maybe it could somehow compensate for the low gpa, although i think that my gpa isnt really good enough to be accepted anywhere and i might possibly have to pursue a post baccalaureate or M.S. degree. So i was wondering if i should even bother applying to any dental schools once i do take the DAT? any thoughts or suggestions from anyone would be appreciated :confused:

it depends... i'd see how well i do on the DAT's first.. (at least 20+ in all sections).

apply if you are willing to shell out the money, knowing your chances are pretty tough..

with a lower gpa like that, you need to really overcompensate on the DAT scores. Also, if you do apply and get interviews, they are going to ask you about your low GPA, and you better have a really good reason. Experience also is vital--either shadowing or working in a dental office.

If you apply and do not get in anywhere, try working on taking post-bac classes or going to grad school to up your GPA.

It might take some time and a lot of patience before you get in, but if you are dedicated enough, things will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just another pre-dent, but I think you should work on your dental experience (maybe get a job as a dental assistant), enroll in a post-bacc and make As in all of your courses, and take the DAT and do great on it by next May and then apply for the class of 2012.

Even with a great DAT it's an uphill battle. I just don't think it will be enough. I would work on that GPA before applying. It just puts your application at agreat disadvantage right off the bat. You know, one of those the scores don't match your GPA things.

Notoriousjae said:

If your heart is in dentistry, don't give up. Just focus and try you're best until you've tried everything. Apply everywhere!!

Notoriousjae said:

If you have the cash to spare it wouldn't hurt to try, just try to do well on the DAT (20+) and put some time into your essays. Do a search and there is a very long thread called the "under 3.0 club" started by Yah-E and it has LOTS of people with under 3.0 gpas who got into d-school.

thanks to all who replied. Btw i did shadow a dentist through a Dental Shadowing Program in my School for 22-25 hours and got a recommendation letter from him like a year ago.
I have an appointment with the Director of admissions Dr.Linfante for UMDNJ-NJDS next month and i think he will most probably tell me the same thing as most of you have on here already.

i would definitely work on the gpa first and then apply. apply for the 2008 cycle! dont give up!

I would talk to an advisor about that. a friend of mine has a gpa of 2.5, and she has taken the DAT 3 times. She got 24 in the first one, 24, on the second, and 26 on the third one. and she keeps applying and non of dental schools want her because of her gpa. and trust me, its not easy to get a 26 in DAT. But dont give up. you never know.

already a lot of good advice here. but recap:

1.) search "under 3.0 club" thread and see how some of them did it
2.) take the DAT. I mean absolutely slay the bast..d, ie. 22+
3.) Check avg. stats of schools before applying on predents.com and school sites
4.) if you have the spare change, put your hook in the water and see which schools bite.
5.) if necessary do a post-bacc. (I've been out of school for two years now and might as well have done a post-bacc. Being between undergrad and d-school isn't such a bad thing)
6.) fight fight fight! pray pray pray! relax............
7.) go to dental school.

RE4 said:
I would talk to an advisor about that. a friend of mine has a gpa of 2.5, and she has taken the DAT 3 times. She got 24 in the first one, 24, on the second, and 26 on the third one. and she keeps applying and non of dental schools want her because of her gpa. and trust me, its not easy to get a 26 in DAT. But dont give up. you never know.
Ouch! A 26 and no luck. :eek: Is she applying again this year? To the OP, it doesn't look good, make sure you are doing school work that can help you get into something other than just dentistry.

Notoriousjae said:
thanks to all who replied. Btw i did shadow a dentist through a Dental Shadowing Program in my School for 22-25 hours and got a recommendation letter from him like a year ago.
I have an appointment with the Director of admissions Dr.Linfante for UMDNJ-NJDS next month and i think he will most probably tell me the same thing as most of you have on here already.

Linfante is a pretty cool guy, he also kinda tells u what u wanna hear although it may not be the whole truth. After meeting with him many times, I prefer to speak to Dr. Shaviano or Dr. Wexler (probly spelt the names wrong). Dr. Shaviano is mad chill and she will help you out with the admissions process and she wont sugar coat it as much. The bottomline is i know of people that werent allowed to enroll in school even though they were in the accelerated program. Its not that ez to get into dental school. Bump ur GPA up, delay ur app. by a year, do more shadowing.