Should I even bother to apply MD with this score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I applied to quite a few schools (25+), but now I am thinking that it may all be a waste after I got my MCAT score.

MCAT: 5VR (I know many schools will reject me right away with this alone), 9PS, 10BS, WS Q = 24Q
My writing sample is good, which would suggest that I am not illiterate as my VR score would suggest. Retaking is not currently an option for me at this point. I honestly don't know how much better I could do.

Some other stats:

NY State resident
Hispanic
GPA: 3.74
science GPA: 3.6
non-science GPA: 3.8

Which, if any schools should I make sure to apply to, and which should I absolutely stay away from?

Members don't see this ad.

retake or dont apply md...harsh but a 5 has to be fatal.

I would just retake it and work on your Verbal, as PS and BS are outstanding, as well as your GPA. You bump your verbal up to a 9 you should be fine.

Also, why would you list Hispanic as an academic statistic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks..

I don't know what to do at this point. My application has started the verification process (I got an email saying my application has completed processing, so I am assuming that means beginning verification?)...is there no possible way to withdraw the application?

I don't care about the refund.

Is there at least a way to withdraw my app from select schools?

Last edited:
I have a friend who got into a state school three years ago with a 5 in VR. You have good writing skills. Just do your best with everything!

I have a friend who got into a state school three years ago with a 5 in VR. You have good writing skills. Just do your best with everything!
im willing to bet his composite score was more competitive than a 24 though

I would just retake it and work on your Verbal, as PS and BS are outstanding, as well as your GPA. You bump your verbal up to a 9 you should be fine.

Also, why would you list Hispanic as an academic statistic?

acceptable? yes. outstanding? no

I already submitted my application and it has completed processing....so apparently it doesn't matter, I am applying whether I like it or not. I thought I may be able to withdraw but it seems the option becomes unavailable once you complete processing.

I thought at least I may be able to withdraw my application from schools I have zero chance at, is this possible?

I am receiving a ton of secondaries in my email and it's not fair for them to send those secondaries if they will just reject me straight off the bat. A lot of time and energy wasted for me.

If they send you secondaries is that a sign that you passed some initial screening?

By the way, my primary focus is an acceptance at a DO school, which if I do get accepted, I would be perfectly content attending.

you can send them a letter saying you're withdrawing. you can always take a swing at it though.. it costs nothing except the fee. up to you. not familiar with DO but maybe a 5 is VR might not hurt you too much there

verification doesnt mean that u have selected which schools to send to. so there is nothing to withdraw from.

I would probably send a letter to the schools that you verified/applied your primaries to/ and tell them that you are withdrawing from this cycle and retake/reapply next cycle.

Most schools send secondary application to all applicants that are verified and that the student listed on their primary. Few schools do some kind of initial screening, the school i can name off the top of the head that does screening is wayne state. You can usually tell if they screen by looking at the email they send you.

If you turn in those secondaries you are going to need to spend time writing essays and pay another fee per school which ranges average being about 60 dollars.

I don't think it is worth the time and money to continue with the application process this cycle and if you're interested in DO i would continue looking into them.

Last edited:
If you're dead set on applying this year and you wouldn't mind going to them, you should put the schools in Puerto Rico on your list. Their MDs are recognized in the US just like any other school's.

Members don't see this ad :)
No chance at ANY MD school?

I congratulate you on your PS and BS but a 5 means you got more than half wrong. :(

Your GPA isn't high enough to compensate for it too... But then again, you are Hispanic and that helps you out although I don't know how much. What are your EC and volunteering like? Life story?

I congratulate you on your PS and BS but a 5 means you got more than half wrong. :(

Your GPA isn't high enough to compensate for it too... But then again, you are Hispanic and that helps you out although I don't know how much. What are your EC and volunteering like? Life story?

My EC's are extensive....lots of research, EMT work, I just completed a program that rotated you through every single department in the hospital with tons of physician shadowing, regular hospital volunteering, club leadership position...and others can't recall right now.

My PS is also on a particular life changing experience I had...

Def retake. Decent GPA and EC... Hispanic is going to help. You might have a slim chance but a retake should definitly be considered

This is a tough situation, sorry OP.

If I were you, I would complete the secondaries for only a few MD schools that have lower stats, and then send a ton of applications to DO schools. You may have a shot there.

I know you said that retaking is not an option...but seriously, most schools will consider a September MCAT score. If you study Verbal (think: ExamKrackers 101) from now until Septemebr, you should be able to get a 2-3 point improvement on a 5. If you do that then you have a decent shot at schools that don't have rolling admissions. Just make sure to update your AMCAS indicating the future MCAT test date (if you can)....

If they send you secondaries is that a sign that you passed some initial screening?

Not always. All a secondary typically means (other than at the schools which screen) is that the school wants the revenue from your application fee. Many schools just send secondaries to everyone who applies.

DO schools will often accept candidates who have slightly worse stats than those who are accepted at MD schools. Still, with a 5, I would be surprised if you got any DO interviews. Three 8s might not disqualify you at some DO schools, but a 5 almost certainly will. Definitely retake the MCAT (but later this year, after you've had time to study). Consider reapplying next year.

I don't want to sound harsh, but you need to be realistic. Your GPA is good. Your MCAT verbal score, however, will be a pretty much insurmountable obstacle this time around. Some schools will only consider your most recent MCAT (and some will average scores), so just do better and reapply to those schools. You can still do all the secondaries you're getting, but they'll probably just take up your time and money and yield nothing.

I don't know. I did call quite a few DO schools and most of them said they "look at the whole applicant" and do not screen for any section.

Of course, some also said they do or might screen for that 5, or that it will entail a closer look.

Would a Jan/March retake be too late for this year for DO schools or MD schools?

I don't know. I did call quite a few DO schools and most of them said they "look at the whole applicant" and do not screen for any section.

Of course, some also said they do or might screen for that 5, or that it will entail a closer look.

Would a Jan/March retake be too late for this year for DO schools or MD schools?

Not screening =|= you have a decent shot. All not screening means is that they're more than happy to take everyone's money. They'll look at the whole applicant, but you'd have to be extraordinary in every other way to overcome a 5.

Jan/March is far too late for this application cycle. Just reapply next year.

Hi,
I have similar stats. I had applied before I recieved my MCATS score. I am retaking in Jan, however I decided to fill some secondaries out for the heck of it (the ones that weren't too expensive). Don't have much hope though.Applying to DO as well. I already got rejected form all the schools that screen primaries. So be realistic and don't waist your money..........