Should I even bother applying or do a Master Program instesd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadham99

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: none take yet
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Resident
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Pakistani/Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category:
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  7. Research experience and productivity: None to my name
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Nursing Volunteer for 1.5yrs
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteer for children’s abuse counseling online, Red Cross Volunteer, Hospice Volunteer all for 2 months so far
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Internship at a healthcare firm doing a reaeach
  11. Relevant honors or awards
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
  13. I have honestly no idea what to do so far. My low GPA is low to an abysmal first year at college and I show an upward trend so far. 3.8 GPA senior year. I’m willing to do a masters program to showcase to admissions that I can handle the rigor of medical school but at the same time get pressure from family to apply as soon as possible. I am looking to get a job as a medical scribe to count as future shadowing hours.

Members don't see this ad.

We can’t really advise you without an MCAT score. But generally your GPAs are too low for any MD school and very low for DO schools. (GPA for matriculated MD students is currently 3.7x).:
You seem to have no clinical experiences and no physician shadowing.
You seem to have some nonclinical volunteering but it’s all over the place with no specific focus.
You really should plan not to apply for a couple of years. Your application is very weak. You need 50 hours of physician shadowing including some with a primary care doc. Additionally you need 200+ hours of clinical experiences ( can be paid or volunteer). Must be face to face contact with the sick, injured and dying. As to the nonclinical volunteering you need at least 200+ hours of service to the unserved/underserved in your community.
Don’t take the MCAT until you are scoring at or above your target goal on a series of FL practice tests. You really only want to take it one time. Just like you only want to apply one time with the best application possible. And from what you have shared you aren’t there yet.

Reactions: 1 users